Christmas is coming... tools?

S

swarfrat

So Christmas is coming and this year I have no clue what to ask for. Tools is usually safe. They'll probably be more general purpose woodworking tools (router stuff most likely) but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

$70-100. What would you go buy?  I hate to blow it all on a set of nut files. Then again - maybe that's a good reason to ask for it for Christmas. Cross slide vise for the drill press? Nut vise? Templates? 

Out of what you mentioned, I'd go with the templates or the cross slide vice. They would probably be the most useful.  :headbang:

Definitely hoping for the cross slide. I bought a nice Steel City drill press a year or two ago. Longest quill travel in the price range. A CSV would really make it that much more useful. But my wife likes to have several to choose from. And it's heavy. Some screw machine drill bits would be nice too.

Ugh. Lee valley's website appears to be a pdf at first, but with the right clicks you can get to a real web page. Where I saw this bird

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/kitchen/bakeware/pastry-tools/111272-pie-bird?item=EV213

Which is funny, because I got one years ago, and thought it was a whistle when the pie was ready, not simply a vent. Needless to say that was one crispy pie.

I was at Rockler today and they have a nice set of wood rasps with handles, spiffy. Sign said new product. I put them on my Christmas list. I am currently carving bodies with a 100 year old farrier's rasp that I am too lazy to make a handle for even though I have owned it for 40 years. I was proud of myself that I didn't just buy them on the spot.

Oh yeah. I went to rockler yesterday for hinges for a project. Wow. Lately I'm all about jigs and fixtures, even for one offs. They got the goods.

I am planning a new workshop (I have not had one for too long). It won't be by Christmas but probably next spring. Workbenches, hand tools and bandsaws etc.

Lots to research so interested in whatever gets suggested in this thread.

Not within the above price range, but I just got this:

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen-6524-oscillating-belt-and-spindle-sander

Did some of the more precise shaping sanding on the V's headstock with the spindle. My goodness, is this thing a life-changer!  Taking it to the country house to reside in my workshop up there for my next custom headstock projects.

Next big-ticket items on my list will be a bandsaw, an air compressor and spray gun, and a drill press.

For the $70-100 range, I could go for some fret-work tools and gauges to add to my own toolbox.  Of course, I also need a toolbox because I'm kind of sick of transporting my soldering iron, measuring spoons & cups, sandpapers, and other assorted sundries in a cardboard box that's slowly wearing out with all the trips back and forth from the other house.

NedRyerson said:
Not within the above price range, but I just got this:

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen-6524-oscillating-belt-and-spindle-sander

Nice!  This is on my list as well.  That and a kick ass dust collection system (with a whole lotta CFM)

Unfortunately I got a Wen OSS but not that one. The belt to drum transition looks super handy

swarfrat said:
So Christmas is coming and this year I have no clue what to ask for. Tools is usually safe. They'll probably be more general purpose woodworking tools (router stuff most likely) but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

$70-100. What would you go buy?  I hate to blow it all on a set of nut files. Then again - maybe that's a good reason to ask for it for Christmas. Cross slide vise for the drill press? Nut vise? Templates?

I'd be a little wary asking the wife for a nut vise for Christmas.  :doh: :evil4:

Re-Pete said:
swarfrat said:

I'd be a little wary asking the wife for a nut vise for Christmas.  :doh: :evil4:

:laughing11: :laughing11: I see you've been married for a while now huh ?.............. :icon_thumright:

Back