Charcoal Frost...blue or gray?

I had one years ago from Warmoth, as far as I can recall it's definitely grey.
However it's a 'cold grey' leaning towards a slight blueish tint. I wouldn't call it blue by any means though.

I think Warmoth's pics are pretty spot on:
PS13083A.jpg

Thanks for that!
Where did you get that pic?
I downloaded the Warmoth finish guide, but I can’t get pics that big or clear.
Plus I’m on a phone.

Charcoal frost is one of my favorites and definitely had a strong hint of blue in it, very noticeable compared to the charcoal metallic I’m working on - think John Wick”s car or look up the dark metallic Nissans these days.

Samhain said:
Thanks for that!
Where did you get that pic?
I downloaded the Warmoth finish guide, but I can’t get pics that big or clear.
Plus I’m on a phone.

Google image, that's where you can easily find many showcase pictures.

I've just used that image to update the colour values on my Virtual Guitar Builder, as it's the clearest depiction I've seen yet - but sadly I have reservations...

I'd like to see a pic one for Pewter, as I recently received a Strat replacement body finished in Pewter and my expectation of it having a hint of green as per the Warmoth Builder and the rare low quality pics online, are somewhat misleading, given I find it much more 'Titanium' in daylight. So it's much greyer than I thought it'd be - still a great shade, but just not what I believed it would look like [cue initial dissapointment which soon dispersed].

Based on that, can someone confirm the accuracy of the Charcoal Frost pic in the post above? I know 'docteurseb' mentioned prior ownership of said colour, but I'd appreciate other opinions too, if there are any?

And, if there are any comments on Pewter, please let me know?

One problem is always going to be that everyone's computer screens are color balanced slightly differently, some screens are more red, some more blue/green so that can be misleading.

And other factors, like lighting at the time the photo was taken, and then when the object is in your hand, what kind of lighting are you using when examining it. I've seen wild differences in color from inside a house, to lighting in a workshop that are a surprise, but they exist.

I think it's called metamersim?

Also, your own eyes' perception, I have this color blindness that when a color is in isolation on a white background, I can tell what it is, but put it with other colors, especially those that have red and green, and it gets real confusing.  Comet cleanser looks like blood, purple flowers look brown, but change the light and it looks "normal".

My wife is always correcting my color coordination, but whatever ... I know I was real sad when I was told I couldn't be a fighter pilot.

They have these formulas as to light saturation etc that assign a number to a spectrum of light ...

But ... I think the best you can do is get an approximation, and then see it in person under your own light conditions.

As you can imagine, I don't worry about it too much, if I can get in the ball park I'm happy.

The pic above looks exactly right to me. If you doubt your computer’s display then check it out on a modern iPhone, iPad, or any decent android device.

Back