Chambered body got air in them?

This is more or less put to rest, but if it were possible to vacuum out all of the air (and have it stay that way), while no sound travels in a vacuum, the wood around the chambers still vibrates.  And most importantly, the strings.

back2thefutre said:
well yeah i know they use the enclave to clamp the laminate top down, but what I was trying to postualte was if in doing that it sucked the air out of the chambers also, and if so would it stay that way, airless vacuum.

Washburn claims empty space in there, but as someone else mentioned air probable seeps back in. I think that is probable right.

The laminate top has already been glued on to the body before being stuck in the chamber.  Therefore, air is already present in the chambers.  If we were to presume the wood to be a perfect seal, air would always remain in the cavity.  If we presume wood is not a perfect seal and could suck the air out, it would filter back in after being removed from the chamber.  It becomes a moot question.

Also, all the hardware would have to be installed in either space or a vacuum chamber, both of which are ridiculously expensive. It would require space worthy seals around all the hardware to prevent leakage. And then the guitar would instantly crumple when brought into the atmosphere, I can't imagine a piece of wood standing the slightest chance of maintaining the pressure differential.

I'm with STDC by the way - surely it's the different vibrations in the wood, not the air inbetween, that is the difference in sound between solid and chambered?

I have my doubts if a guitar-body would hold up to the air pressure outside with a true vacuum inside.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-SN5j1ogk - , http://www.wesleyan.edu/physics/demos/pirabib/2fluid/2B30.html

If it would be strong enough, maybe it would hold air as well - then I could build an insanely large guitar and travel to mars in it :eek:ccasion14:

The most important thing is to make sure you fill your chambers with genuine vintage air, not that cheezmo modern stuff (and especially not nasty cheap foreign air). Warmoth has spies traveling around the country, scouting out old 1957-era air-raid shelters, antique jars, buried gas pockets.... In fact I think there's one in my yard now!

BAM! BAM! BAM!

:cool01:

Other good sources of vintage air: old tires, boxes in attics, foot lockers.  Mine shafts often have lots of vintage air, but keep away, you can get Black Tone Chamber Disease.  Keep away from shipyards, airports, etc, this is how you get cheap imported air.  If you can't find good vintage air, at least grab some quality American-made air from above an apple pie or from on the open range.  If you really want some deluxe tone air, you can find small amounts of the really good stuff at the top of old bottles of wine.  Place the body face-down on the wine bottle, with the mouth of the bottle in a tone chamber.  Then drill a very fine hole through the side of the glass bottle and use a hypodermic needle of water to CAREFULLY fill the bottle to the brim, forcing the vintage air up into the body.  Then you can discard the wine and bottle.  I recommend a 1935, an excellent year for wine air.

How d'you keep the vintage air in if you've got an "f-holed" body?

I paid a lot of money for that air, I don't just want any old fool breathing near my guitar. In fact, dont even look at it.

When I ordered my gold top. I had Warmoth fill it with helium. No need for a strap. I highly recommend it, though going wireless isn't a good idea. :icon_thumright:

jimh said:
How d'you keep the vintage air in if you've got an "f-holed" body?

I paid a lot of money for that air, I don't just want any old fool breathing near my guitar. In fact, dont even look at it.

Just keep a little bottle of vintage air in your guitar case, and pour a little in before you play.

GoDrex said:
When I ordered my gold top. I had Warmoth fill it with helium. No need for a strap

I KNEW that levitating/spinning guitar trick in guitar hero was possible!  *Runs to get dremel*

That'd make you really popular with the jam band crowd.  Just don't try lighting it on fire!

mayfly said:
line6man said:
It seems to me that if you tried to vacuum out all the air from inside a guitar body, it would seep back in because wood is pourous.

Seriously, where are you reading all of these crazy things?

Neck plate pads giving you better screw tension, necks without truss rods, something about kiln-dried bodies.
You have to stop trusting everything you read.
:blob7:

+1 there is no way in hell than any body made of wood will hold a vacuum.  Unless it's sold by Ed Roman :icon_jokercolor:

BAaahahahahahaha epic win

Back