Chambered body and rosewood neck: it's ok?

Bruno

Chambered swamp ash body and full rosewood neck.
How do it be in terms of weight and balance?
I would not like the guitar had the classic *SG* (d)effect ...

I have a Tele with a chambered swamp ash body and rosewood neck, and it balances just fine. (The neck is standard thin contour with vintage-style tuners, FWIW.) A strat should balance better than a Tele due to the upper horn. I'm a really big fan of the sound I get from mine. I originally built it with a walnut body, but switching to the swamp ash made a noticable improvement in the tone.

AWESOME I very recently ordered that exact wood combination for my tele and am glad to hear that it sounds cool

bob7point7 said:
I have a Tele with a chambered swamp ash body and rosewood neck, and it balances just fine. (The neck is standard thin contour with vintage-style tuners, FWIW.) A strat should balance better than a Tele due to the upper horn. I'm a really big fan of the sound I get from mine. I originally built it with a walnut body, but switching to the swamp ash made a noticeable improvement in the tone.

I have to agree with the great tone in that combination.

We put an Area 58 in my friends American Strat (solid alder, standard C maple neck with rosewood fretboard) and compared it to the Area 58 in my chambered swamp ash Strat with a quartersawn rosewood standard thin neck and the tone was very noticeable.  Plugged into the same amp, his had the typical Strat higher pitched chime, especially when he bent the high E hard where mine had a total harmonic sound to it with no shrill. We both have 250K volume and tone pots, and the comparison test was at volume settings of 5 and 10 with the tone all the way at 10 and the Area 58 is in the neck position on both guitars. 

I've got a chambered swamp ash strat body and a full rosewood (standard thin) neck. Balances great, sounds fantastic, plays very smoothly. I love it!!

Bruno said:
Chambered swamp ash body and full rosewood neck.
How do it be in terms of weight and balance?
I would not like the guitar had the classic *SG* (d)effect ...

Are you referring to the balance of the guitar, or the tone of an SG?  I know the SG can have kind of a trademark "howl" (listen to the solo of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid,"  as well as any Robby Krieger/Doors solo, notably "Five to One" and "L.A. Woman").

I've never known the SG to have terrible balance. I'll admit that they are slighty neck heavy when you hold them right at the neck joint, but that's due to the thin body. Now a Firebird, on the other hand, those seem to develop stories on how neck-heavy they are.

Graffiti62 said:
Are you referring to the balance of the guitar, or the tone of an SG? 

Ergonomics.

However, if chambered swamp ash body and full rosewood neck are okay (balanced sound and ergonomics)... which pickups?
I *play* rock, blues and I love Clapton, Knopfler, C.Rea, SRV ect.

A friend of mine had this exact combination on a Telecaster (well, a thinline) and it sounded pretty airy and dark, didn't have much high end or punch. You may want to compensate by using slightly higher output pickups.

What do you think about S.Duncan SSL-7 T  (quarter pound - staggered - and Tapped) ?

I think that'd work great. It all depends on how you want the guitar to sound, but those are nice pickups...

Gibson sound (ghost), playability strat (in the shell).
is it possible?
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Back