Chambered Ash Body & Mahogany neck???

Doughboy

I'm thinking of a chambered Ash Strat w/ a mahogany/rosewood neck for my next build.

I haven't seen this combo anywhere & was wondering if anyone has tried this before.

Mahogany/rosewood neck = standard Gibson neck, so I wouldn't call it especially neck-heavy. Generally speaking of course. There will always be that particular piece of wood that's extra light and the one that's extra heavy. But that's just nature.

Chambered ash isn't exactly your standard Gibson body though. I'm inclined to agree with Timmsie: possibly a bit tippy...

I have a nice, light chambered ash body with a maple top and it's well within the usual weight range of solid bodies.  If you lose as much as a quarter of the weight of the solid body by chambering, you're doing pretty good, and you'll probably lose less.  So unless you get a really unusually light body (like, sub-three-pounds) and an unusually heavy neck (solid ebony, perhaps), with very heavy tuners, the strap button point on a Strat body will keep things balanced just fine - especially once you add the trem and pickups.  If you were going after a telecaster, maybe, but even so, pretty unlikely.

Logrinn said:
Mahogany/rosewood neck = standard Gibson neck, so I wouldn't call it especially neck-heavy. Generally speaking of course. There will always be that particular piece of wood that's extra light and the one that's extra heavy. But that's just nature.

Verne Bunsen said:
Chambered ash isn't exactly your standard Gibson body though. I'm inclined to agree with Timmsie: possibly a bit tippy...

^That's what I was thinking. I picked up a chambered ash strat, and I could hold it up with my pinky. and then on the opposite end of the spectrum, my friend has a mahogany/rosewood neck from a bolt on les paul, and it weighed more than the strat. so to me, even with the balance point of a strat, it would constantly be pulling on your shoulder.

Back