Celebrity Musicians YOU have met . . .

Wow, you guys got lots of cool stories.  :)  ZGOZZ, when was this?  Late 80s?

-various local musicians
-Dale Turner (the Dale in Glendale)-Max Stalling's guitarist
-Zakk Wylde, but I wasn't a fan then
-Poison, in 1988, I was 12 and I didn't know who they were
-Lit
-Minnie pearl
-my in-laws went to HS with Jimmie Vaughn and SRV (til he dropped out)
-Eric Sardinas (if you're not familiar with him, he'll change the way you think about a Dobro)
-Lyle Lovett on several occasions
-Jason Bonham
-Radney Foster
-several Christian bands no one's heard of

Waited on MC Hammer (93 or so), San Francisco. Fish and chips and white zin. Met Faith no More at the restaurant (Portland OR), they gave us passes, and went backstage when they were opening up for Billy Idol in 1990 (monumentally sucky concert - that was the year Billy Idol tried to do electronica or some crap); they were drinking orange juice and packing their duffel bags, while the crowd waiting for Billy backstage were about 15 girls dressed in just lingerie. Not everyone is too exhausted to meet with fans after a concert!

Met Heart in 1979 as my best friends girlfriends sister made outfits for them...
Hung out with Head East in 1979 when they played at Natasha's in my hometown...
Hung out with Rail after the Rail/Three Dog Night show in Biloxi Mississippi in 1982...
Ran into Takira Takasaki on Waikiki beach in 1985...
Hung out with a Hawaiian band (Sacred Rite) and met Ozzy, Jake, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickenson, Dave Murray, Steve Harris, and Adrian Smith at their house in Kona Hawaii in the mid 80's...
Went to Dave Murray's wedding in Kailua, Hawaii in 1986...
Hung with Vivian Campbell before their show at the Neal Blaisdell Center at a music store called Hot Licks in 1986...
Bought Al DiMeola a drink after his show at Parkers, north of Seattle in 1987...
Rick Knowles of Rail was my Department Manager when I was at the Art Institute for schooling 1987-89...
Roger Fisher (ex of Heart) was my songwriting instructor at AIS...
Met Blue Oyster Cult for a video interview in 1991...
Hung out with Queensryche (and their engineer Tom Hall) at their New Years Eve show in 1991...
Backstage at Alice in Chains at the Paramount in Seattle 1991 (or 1992, can't remember)...
Met UFO, including Micael Schenker, Pete Way, and Phil Mogg at the Ballard Firehouse in 1995...
Bought Ronnie James Dio a Tea after his show at the Ballard Firehouse in about 1996...
Got Peter Frampton to stop his concert to autograph a friends soccer ball at the Pier in Seattle, somewhere in the late 90's...
Hung with Zakk Wylde at Al's Guitarville, North of Seattle in 1997 when he came in to get some work done on one of his Les Pauls while recording some of his Book of Shadows CD...
Met with Midnight Oil after their show at the Showbox in 1999.
Met Robin Trower on multiple instances (Seattle, Las Vegas, and New Orleans).
Hung with Queensryche as they did an interview with Cathy Faulkner, releasing their Q2K CD...
Hung out with Jerry Cantrell after their show at the Mobile Bayfest in 2007.
And met Candlebox at the Swamp on Okaloosa Island in 2007...

My dad is Steve Bell. Big in the genre he is in, but not much out of that. Which sucks, as he is one of the better guitar players/song writers out there right now, IMHO.
Briefly hung out with Method Man.
Briefly talked with Hawksley Workman.
...then a bunch of Christian musicians, mostly Canadian.
Met and talked with Bill and Gloria Gaither haha

Well just about the only musician I knew was Danny the Bassist from the Wildhearts (check em out on wiki). They were a pretty big band on the British hard rock scene in the 90's and they are sill together and do world tours however Danny left them last year. They were a little bit in the Guns n' Roses mould. Anyway, my sister used to be with Danny for a few years and he was a little bit like an older brother to me. I think I was about 5 or 6 at the time they were together and Danny and I shared the same birthday so he would come round the house with presents for me. I remember one birthday he bought me a big colourful domino set and came around in the morning with it and it was broken so he went back out into town got it changed and brought it back. He spent all day setting it up with me and left when I went to bed. It was his birthday too but he chose to make sure my day was good and spent the whole time with me. When you are a kid you dont know any better but Danny was into heroin (my sister, for all her chemical adventures, said heroin was the one thing she would never touch and was why they split) at the time but even then he was a kind soul. Just gentle is all I can remember of him. Not really what you would expect of a heroin addict from a band who were known for being hideously debauched.

Anyway I met up with him at a signing by pure chance when I was 18 and he knew who I was. I dont know how since I had not seen him for at least 10 years, but he did. Anyway, he was just as nice as he always was with me and he gave me his number and told me to call him sometime and to get my sister to do the same. So Danny was super cool.

My parents have much better stories than me:

My dad was flatmates with Brian Ferry. But my mother got asked my Paul McCartney to dance with the Beatles on stage durring a concert at the half time interval (haha interval). Anyway, she danced the second half of the concert on top of the grand that John Lennon was playing. She spent the interval with them and she said Paul was a sleeze, John was nice and chatty but a little odd, George was really nice to her and polite but really quiet, and she said Ringo just kept saying stupid stuff and he seemed really dim. This is before my parents met, but they toured themselves as a folk duo in the late 50's and early 60's and met just about everyone big at that time.

Oh another big moron Like to use a couple of 4 letter words.
The dudes from Extreme.  Extreme !@#$ holes. Really higher than god attitude.

Gary seemed really cool at the meet and greet ,when I saw him when he was in Van Halen . Maybe he did'nt want to rock the boat with Eddie and the gang .?!

kreig said:
Gary seemed really cool at the meet and greet ,when I saw him when he was in Van Halen . Maybe he did'nt want to rock the boat with Eddie and the gang .?!

More like he must of been so humbled by then. Slash was the coolest dude to hang with, he was just like a regular guy. And treated people like he wanted to.
Eddie was only for like cool as well. Not this I am  great you a putz...

Only met 2 in person...Pat Travers and Steve Vai.  Met Pat at a meet & greet after one of his shows.  He signed one of my guitars for me.  Met Steve Vai backstage during the Sex & Religion tour.  Ike Willis got me back stage...he's a local from around here.  I used to go to quite a few of Ike's local gigs, and he borrowed one of my Marshall amps once when Tony's Fender took a crap on stage.  Just a bar gig, and my amp was not far from there at the time.

kreig said:
I'll start . . .

Van Halen 3 w/ Gary Cherone - will NOT sign autographs ! My next door neighbor won a local radio contest (be the 9th caller thing) and won 2 tix to meet and greet VH in L.A. for a world broadcast radio interview .He chose me to go w/ him . Flight+1st class accommodations at Londons' in West Hollywood . After the interview, they suprised 500 winners of the radio contest from all 50 states (I think) to a 45 min. set. I could have stole the set list placed at Eddies Floor pedals . I was DIRECTLY like 10' in front of him . During the on-air commercial breaks  , I motioned Michael to the edge of the stage to high 5 everybody , then Gary ,then to everyones amazement around me  , Alex ( they told me he does'nt do that , like ever ) 3 out of 4 , did'nt get Eddie to come over though !
Kreig, I too was at that meet and great, for VH 3, it was at the "Billboard Live" in west Hollywood. March 12 1998. We stayed at the Belagio hotel, I too won a contest at a radio station here in Dallas. Don't know if you remember but Gary and Alex and Michael were playing around with some sunglasses that I made and gave to Eddie. I was right up at the edge of the stage and got Eddie to come over as well as Gary..Also got to meet Joe Satriani the day before, he had just released Crystal Planet and had an autograph signing at Tower Records and a show that night at the HOB, with Derek Trucks opening up for him...

When I lived in Detroit I met Nicko McBrain, Rudy Sarzo, Sebastian Bach, one of the guitarists from Twisted Sister (the one with the bullseye type painted guitar) and another guitarsit who I didn't know. They were in town to play a Kiss convention and a neighbor had a place that bands coming into town would rehearse at. They were all really nice, but I mostly just talked to Nicko. Also did lighting for Foghat and did the bass sound check, I didn't know they could make a bass neck that thin (fretless Ibanez)! Also, Lou Reed (best friends with his bass players brother) who was great. And the Tragically Hip more times than I can count, nicest guys you could meet.

to DangerousR6 -

"Kreig, I too was at that meet and great, for VH 3, it was at the "Billboard Live".

Yup , I thought it was in 97' . . . can't find my T-shirt , or flight stubs to confirm . 
and they said Billboard Live was Ben Gazzara's  . . . and he never let them play there when they started .
I was the one who started chanting "Gary , Gary , Gary . . . " , my friend saw Valerie there, but I did'nt. A local yokel there, gave us directions where VH mansion was supposedly at on the other side of the Hills there , and he said there was a building in the back
and he said you could hear him practice at times, so fer shits in giggles we went anyway .
Went to Hollywood Guitar Center and they had Eddie's Franken strat on display , and SRV guitar, the one he used before the strats.
the one with is name inlayed in the neck .

I was the smart , good-looking one there , and you ?  :laughing3:

I almost forgot.  One of my ex-girlfriends was best friends with the wife of Jerry Shirley, the drummer from Humble Pie, and later Fastway.  When I knew him, he was a DJ for WMMS in Cleveland.  Jammed with him on a couple of occasions.  It was cool seeing his photo album of him and his friends, to include David Gilmour.

I backed into Ron Wood's limo after attending his book-signing appearance in Houston back in the 90's. While his driver was cussing me out, Ron just glanced at me at said "Scat!" I took his advice. As liquor had been pretty freely flowing at the event, I just accepted it as a random act of kindness from one brother drunkard to another.

If anyone starts a sports personality thread, I have an Elvin Bethea story that's mildly humorous.

Back