Celebrity Musicians YOU have met . . .

K

kreig

That's right . . .

Meet & greets , "PLAYED" with , personal correspondence , crossed paths , stumbled into , upon , onto - it all counts !

Who were total jerks !?

Who were too cool ?

give a short story about your scenario !

OHHH . . . and Date and City !

Let's have some FUN !

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I'll start . . .

Aerosmith - Steven blew me away when he gave each and every person at the meet and greet , with TOTAL UNDIVIDED ATTENTION for a brief moment , but you went away knowing he really cares about their fan base .btw ,  Brad,Tom, and Joey are known as the L3 (Less Interesting 3) as Joe and Steve
seem to steal the show at their meet and greets. Steve is VERY gregarious . I felt as if we were instant friends . I love him as a person .
They did carry on like spoiled brats thou . . . I  overheard an employee say that their meet and greet ryder stipulated a "Bone-in turkey" for their buffet in the backroom . In their book , it said that one tour, they took in 5 million dollars and Joey stated that he felt that they should get 1 million each .
Oh, the naivete , Joey . If only you can convince your entourage, et al . . .

Van Halen 3 w/ Gary Cherone - will NOT sign autographs ! My next door neighbor won a local radio contest (be the 9th caller thing) and won 2 tix to meet and greet VH in L.A. for a world broadcast radio interview .He chose me to go w/ him . Flight+1st class accommodations at Londons' in West Hollywood . After the interview, they suprised 500 winners of the radio contest from all 50 states (I think) to a 45 min. set. I could have stole the set list placed at Eddies Floor pedals . I was DIRECTLY like 10' in front of him . During the on-air commercial breaks  , I motioned Michael to the edge of the stage to high 5 everybody , then Gary ,then to everyones amazement around me  , Alex ( they told me he does'nt do that , like ever ) 3 out of 4 , did'nt get Eddie to come over though !

Heart ( met Original band except Steve Fossen) - my best friends Dad at the time was a local Seattle radio station KJR sales person . It was an interview for  the "Bebe La Strange" album and tour. Nancy's eyes met mine and it was love at first sight . (AS IF)
Derosier (Drummer) was busy admiring himself , I guess .
Howard Leese likes to parade himself around Seattle in a limo with a bimbo wrapped around him , trying to be the  "still-am, as I use-to-be, has-been ,that you've-never-been rock icon. BTW Howard . . . it was the girls , . . . not you !

Robin Trower - gave out autographs after the show , but let breasty women cut in line in front of me . . .(AS  IF . . . !!!)

Randy Hansen - My friends knew his bass player at the time and we were invited to an after show party .
I asked him for his autograph and he invited me to come over and play guitar w/ him. He gave me his home phone #

Allan Holdsworth - I ambushed him walking out of a small room he was rehearsing in , right before the gig .

Carlos Cavaso - (Randy Rhoads Quiet Riot replacement) -when he was in "SNOW" before QR at Whisky a Go Go (early 80's) I knew he would make it !

Adrian Legg - ran in to him after his performance opening for G3 - Satch,Vai,EJ

Ronnie Montrose - I wrote a snail mail to tell him I named my female dalmation " Ronni" after him , and that I had searched for 15 years for a CD copy of his "SPEED OF SOUND" album . . . and he sent back a copy for free ! toooooo coooooool !

I've PLAYED with Craig Wells and Kirk Arrington of Metal Church

ran the spotlight on Ethel Ennis - Vocal Jazz legend from the Louis(What a Beautiful  World) Armstrong era
and lights for Glenn Yarburough

John 5
Uli Jon Roth
Paul Gilbert
that really good brazillian dude...
bassist from Goldfinger Kelly LeMieux
Nikki sixx
Dave Mustaine
Chris Broddrick
Various people from Bands I like..
All in Los Angeles this year.

Between working as a photographer and for a local concert promotion agency in Germany in the late 70s/early 80s, most everyone that toured there in that time frame. From growing up in Dallas, being a blues rat and hanging at Charlie's Guitar Shop many Saturdays, most everyone from the Texas scene to include a lot of the older blues greats like Mance Lipscomb, Lightning Hopkins, Albert Collins, Freddie King, etc.

Most anybody suddenly on the road, rich and adored by fans can display some modicum of jerkitude, but were I have to hand out an award it would be a tie between Judas Priest and Lou Reed. Ted Nugent a very close second, although the poor smucks in his band he paid a couple hundred dollars week to were cool.

Amongst people that stand out in my memory as being genuinely "nice": everybody in The Tubes, David Coverdale and Jon Lord of Deep Purple/Whitesnake, SRV (when sober), Bob Marley/Peter Tosh, Frank Zappa and most all the older black blues cats.

Kerry King was seriously the kindest most courteous guitarist I have ever had the pleasure of playing with. It was a random thing when he stopped by to check out some tracks a pal of his was laying down. He just walked into the control room with me, sat down without a word, waited for his bud to finish he take. And then picked my brain for a good two hours about tone tweaking, mixing board hardware and various tech stuff. Now, I'm sure he knew a whole lot of that stuff already but he didn't once interrupt my ramblings about random ribbon mic configurations, hemp cone speakers, etc. After all that, with the punch-ins done and no one else in the studio for a while, he took the time to show me a couple of riffs and some incredibly fast runs. That was Buffalo, 2003. Since the beginning of 2007 I've gotten to meet a few other famous folks and sit in with some not so famous ones. To mention a few I've been fortunate enough to get to know: Eric Heywood, Jay Farrar,  Anders Parker, Ray Lamontagne, Ryan Montbleau, James Kochalka (comiker and all around good guy), James Cotton, and Mike Gordon. There have been others, but these are the ones who stand out in memory. And I won't even talk about the jerks.

from what I can remember:
Brian May - 89 - London
Pete Townsend - 89 - London
Roger Daltrey - 89 - London
Mike Peters - 88 - Holland

Bono - Multiple times during 2000 - 2003 while we lived in the same village.. he almost ran me over in front of my apt with his merc one time!
Sinead O'Connor - sitting next to me in the pub. I only realized it was her after i was wondering if that bald little boy was old enough to drink :)
Enya (irish singer) - was my upstairs neighbour, and got into a huge fight with her manager after her floor heating system started leaking into my appartment :(

The Beach Boys (Played onstage with them at a benefit)  I'm standing behind Al Jardeen at Laguna Seca holding an old Precision bass:

1333719564_1cdd5edb2c_o_d.jpg

Paul Schaffer (That's me looking like a slug beside him, Adam and Al Jardeen of the Beach Boys to the left at the BB studio in Big Sur, CA)

1332832273_d4e399935d_o_d.jpg

Billy Joe Royal -- opened for him in Virginia about ten years ago
Chicago - Met at a Beach Boys concert in Knoxville, TN
Clay Davidson (Played for him for 6 months)
Allison Krauss (Played onstage with her at a bluegrass festival in TN)

JBD

I forgot a buch, but one of the best was this one;

I kissed and hugged this 80+ year old woman, named philomena lynott! such a nice lady and one of my idol's mum ;)

John 5 was at the top of my nice list... We met and played in Guitar Center for about 2.5 hours.. At the end he offered to buy me a vintage Tele.. But I couldn't take him up, It seemed wrong.

JamesL said:
that really good brazillian dude...
icon_evil.gif

Which one???

BTW I've never met a world famous player, just saw Andreas Kisser in a mall someday, but he looked like trying to be a normal guy walking with his kids, so I didn't go to talk with...

Between being a Berklee Grad, and formerly working the front desk at a hotel for 3 years, I’ve met quite a few….

John Mayer  (lived down the hall from me in the dorms)
Steve Mazur (current guitarist of Our lady peace)
Lynyrd Skynyd (the whole surviving band)
Ben Folds
Sum 41 (the whole band)
Kevin Dubrow (Quite Riot, RIP)
Steve Vai
Philip Bynoe (Vai’s bass player)
Joe Satriani (on two separate occasions)
Hanson (Mmm Bop, all 3 brothers)
Natalie Merchant
New Edition (the whole boy band minus Bobby Brown)
Megadeth (the whole band)
John Popper (Blues Traveler)
Steve Smith
Tuck & Patty
Alf Clausen
Chris Botti
Annabella Lwin (Bow Wow Wow)
Jon Pizarelli
Adrian Young (No Doubt)
Kay Hanley (Letters to Cleo)

There are a bunch of others, but I can’t remember all them.  Plus, being a Berklee grad there are probably a whole host of people I know/knew, who could still make it or are just in the industry, so…

As for working at a hotel, the funniest thing was all the fake names they used. My two favorites were “Hugh Farteed” and “Donald Corleone”.

:)

erik

When I first moved to Austin in 1981 I lived next door to the then-drummer for the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Fran Christina. Jimmy Vaughan was their guitarist and his little brother SRV was just one of many greasy little blues weasels (as they were affectionately known). Lou Ann Barton & Angela Strehli lived around the corner and their band members were sort of interchangeable, in a blurry sort of way... David Grissom and David Murray were in there, and there were always strange people wandering the streets at night twanking on Stratocasters. To be a correct blues weasel at the time you had to suck alcohol like a wet-vac, so although I couldn't say "I drank with Stevie Ray", I at least got simultaneously and individually hammered with him in the same vicinity a few times... I met Eric Johnson, Ray Benson, Billy Gibbons, and Willie Nelson through the same liquid process... I think. :toothy12:

I knew Steve Morse somewhat when I lived in Tallahassee in the late 70's, along with Butch Trucks, and Pat Ramsey & Julian Kasper of the fabled greatest unknown blues band ever, Crosscut Saw (Julian's now a professor at Berklee, BTW). I met John McLaughlin a few times, Stanley Jordan, I fixed Mike Sterns' guitar nut one time when he was on tour with Miles. Ummm, I shook Richard Nixon's hand when I was four years old and I was the chef at the Avenue when G.H.W. Bush was V.P. so I fed him a few times (big mistake there, I guess - where's the damn PCP when you need it).

I shook hands with Ben Folds... my girlfriend insisted on waiting for him outside after a show.  That's about it.  :-|

I'm envious. My mom knew some of the double-mint twins, but I think that's about as close as I get.

I talked briefly with Ed Harcourt after a gig of his here in Malmö, Sweden in 2001 or 2. I felt monumentally embarrased afterwards and will never try that again... Note to self: when performer has just finished a gig and is pretty much exhausted, leave them alone. Nothing of substance will come of it, for either person.

Not including a bunch of local heroes in town, I've met k.d. lang and Gordie Johnson.  Gordie is a pretty cool guy.

Also, the bass player in my band knew the guitarist from inxs during that band's heyday.  But when you bug her about it now she gets all embarrassed  :)  Just don't do it when her husband's around...  :eek:

The musicians I've met are not well known and much more in the 'folk' vein of things. Although I did meet Pat Metheny before he gave a talk and a Q&A with musicians, as well as playing a short show. He was a total jerk. He made fun of a guy in the audience who asked a question regarding electric bassists (and whether Metheny would use them). Metheny laughed and talked about how much he thinks electric basses suck. This was to a crowd filled 50/50 with guitarists and bassists, a few drummers too.

Other musicians:
Alexi Murdoch
Mason Jennings
Phil Elverum
Julie Doiron (so incredibly nice and easy to talk to)
Don Ross
Andy McKee
Badi Assad (she is wonderful, I am completely in love with this woman)
girlyman
Diane Cluck

My buddy when I lived on NY LI worked at marshalll,Korg. Let me tell you we meet talked to a lot of different people.
Slash, Eddie, Guys from Yes,Brian Setzer. Billy Joel and his guitarist and Yngwie Malmsteen the biggest moron on in the world. Crap I need to find the pics I have, the drummer for Kiss that passed away.
Other artiest that I had no idea who they were. What was cool about hanging back then was we were testing all this stuff, keyboards amps. I miss that place. Wonder what ever happen to that guy...
Crap I was 18 when all this was happening....

Back