Cavity work

mdurg68

Started doing some work on my soloist body today.

I don't like the standard Strat placement of volume knob so I had Warmoth not drill the knobs. I had no way of making a selector switch slot so I did have them put that in. Laid out the holes in similar layout to my (old) Ibanez 540r. I think Jacksons, Chavels and many others have a similar volume knob placement. I added a switch to split the neck humbucker. I'm copying Suhr's Pete Thorn pickup wiring except I decided to make the switch separate instead of a push-pull.

Drilled the holes using drill bits for acrylic. They cut through the clear coat and paint nice and clean. But the holes were too tight to fit in the pots (3/8") and switch (1/4") so I rolled up some sandpaper and within a few minutes they all fit perfect.

This my first build and I'm finding out all different parts from different sources don't really have consistent or reliable measurements. Example is the DPDT mini switch. The shaft isn't long enough to penetrate the body. Sooo I looked all over the internet for a longer one but couldnt find one. Some specs I saw out there were only about 2mm longer than what I had and that still wasnt going to cut it.

I considered many things including sanding the crap out of the cavity but I decided to route out the area since I have one. Was very apprehensive about it, but it literally took 2 minutes to do. Once I was done I kind of wanted to do the entire surface of the cavity to just smooth it it out and clean it up. It ships in really rough.

Next up was to add the shielding. Debatable whether it makes a difference or not, but it's cheap and everything is wide open.

So next up this week is wiring. Also waiting for chrome electroform headstock stickers to arrive from china. I've got 2 coats of laquer on the headstock so it's ready to go. Have done a bunch of practice on some scrap wood and have been able to polish it up to a mirror, so I'm kind of excited to see how the real thing will come out.

Hopefully this information will helps someone in the future like many of these posts have helped me.

Attachments

• Cavity work - 01.jpg
    Cavity work - 01.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Cavity work - 10.jpg
    Cavity work - 10.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Cavity work - 09.jpg
    Cavity work - 09.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Cavity work - 08.jpg
    Cavity work - 08.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Cavity work - 07.jpg
    Cavity work - 07.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Cavity work - 06.jpg
    Cavity work - 06.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Cavity work - 05.jpg
    Cavity work - 05.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Cavity work - 04.jpg
    Cavity work - 04.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Cavity work - 03.jpg
    Cavity work - 03.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Cavity work - 02.jpg
    Cavity work - 02.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 18
Very nice job. Clean and neat. This should turn out well, congrat's. :icon_thumright:

That's a nice job! I can understand being apprehensive about taking the routerbeast to that cavity - it can be a mean tool. It wouldn't work as well for the blade switch, but toggles and pots can sometimes be more effectively (and safely) relieved using a Forstner bit, since they drill flat-bottomed holes.

I'm starting to wish my pickguarded guitars had a cavity. I'm about sick of taking unstringing tremolos to get to a bad pot.

Chipping away... got the wiring done (except for grounding the trem claw)

Will it work???? Who knows but it's starting to look like a guitar!

One bummer - I must have thrown one of my pickups in a box with sandpaper, got some fine scratches in it.

Attachments

• IMG_7429.jpg
    IMG_7429.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7430.jpg
    IMG_7430.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
swarfrat said:
I'm starting to wish my pickguarded guitars had a cavity. I'm about sick of taking unstringing tremolos to get to a bad pot.

Never really thought of that. Luckily you shouldn't have to change pots that often.

Back