Carved top soloist build...

I got the missing bits today. As you said Cagey, Warmoth sent them in two packages. The smaller one came later, today in fact.

Still waiting on one last batch of bits, dem humbucker mounting rings. Because I'd ordered ones that don't fit initially, the slanted curvy archtop type, in black. I have the correct fit and a trem cover coming... and I went with creme.  :sign13:

g5d1SSN.jpg

Wired it up and did some drilling...

I'm just waiting on the rings to mount the humbuckers. Then I'll temporarily put the bridge on to get them placed right and drill them on. Then I'll take it to the shop for the setup because there's no way in hell I'm going to give a Floyd Rose its first setup!

Yep, that's definitely heading in an awesome direction.  Black headstock face = WINNING.

I like where this one is going :icon_thumright: (love the blond / cream binding look!).

"Yeah, yeah, yeah...high gloss natural finish with a black back, headstock and hardware, all coordinated with cream components...it's just another guitar." He said as he was glowing green with envy.

Build complete.

I finished the guitar and sent it to the shop for a set up. They gave it back with the action still too high for my liking. Seems Warmoth could have routed for the nut lower. I took the nut off and brought it to work and ground off about .6 of a millimeter and now it feels pretty good. Pretty damn good. In fact, I'm super super pleased with this guitar.

It's rather loud and resonant unplugged, moreso than its predecessor. A bit lighter than its predecessor too.

The pickups are a good match. The JB sounds muscular and balanced. A nice full sound that rawks hard, and the lead tone is addictive. The 59 seems to be able to do everything a neck pickup is known to. It's warm and singing under gain but with a defined attack and it cleans up to a nice jazzy tone. The coil split sounds from both are also really really good, on par with the full sounds. When you run both pickups split, it's just like, god damn. That is too funky. I've only had a day with it in proper playing conditon but I keep finding great sounds in the various knob and switch settings.

The Floyd is doing its Floydy thing as it should and I can't wait to learn all kinds of cool tricks and incorporate it into my style.

Pics...

aU39Jkg.jpg

Cool closeup my girlfriend did.

UFmuUzV.jpg

My grainy clinical shot.

Back