Carved top soloist build...

unstrung

You may recall me talking about my current Soloist for the past ten years, how it's perfect except for a few things... If not I gave it a thread, here: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25505.0

As I might have implied my Soloist Mark II is definitely a thing, especially since I received the body and a bunch of hardware today.

This time I went for basswood. I've always been a little intrigued by the mids of basswood guitars, they're kind of soft and deep. But they always have too little top end. So I went for a hard top wood. I'm sick of maple, so I went with hard ash. Turns out hard ash is not typically available as a carved top, so there was an additional charge for that.

Here's some impressions of mine: I prefer the more dramatic curves of the old carved top of ten years ago, but this is still a sexy looking top.
It's quite light before anything is mounted to it.
I initially wanted to not have any binding (ten years ago, binding wasn't even an option for the soloist carved top!) but now it's mandatory, so I went with creme. Which I'm pleased about now, because it looks very nice with the vintage tint top... kind of complimentary.
For some reason I thought they would include a cover for the trem cavity? Fack, now I have to order one!

Well the neck and some more hardware are going to come a bit later.

Included pic of the binding leading into the black back, as well as a closeup of the seam between ash and basswood. I'm liking the thickness of the top, it seems to me to be enough to enhance the tone.

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 62
Man that is nice. I really like how classy that top is. Don't leave us out of a look at the finished project. I've had basswood once in the past and liked it too. I tend to be absurdly careful with guitars so I never had anything significant happen regarding how people say its a softer wood. What pickups for this? I have to agree with you about not being an automatic fan of binding but I think it turned out great on what they sent you. It adds to it rather than going in the opposite direction. Knowing that some of these body projects can really add up I think this one looks terrific.

There's so many ways this build could go. I love this body. Zebra pickups and a chrome Floyd would be sexy.

musicispeace said:
What pickups for this? I have to agree with you about not being an automatic fan of binding but I think it turned out great on what they sent you. It adds to it rather than going in the opposite direction. Knowing that some of these body projects can really add up I think this one looks terrific.

I have a Duncan JB trembucker lying around (unsure how that will sound in this. It's a hit or miss pickup... sounded great in a poplar strat, sounded ugly in the mids in a mahogany/maple top Warmoth Soloist, the Mark I), and with the neck a Duncan '59 neck will arrive. I hope these pickups work out with the guitar.

Yeah the binding was kind of like, "oh, fine..." but damn am I ever glad it's there now.

pabloman said:
There's so many ways this build could go. I love this body. Zebra pickups and a chrome Floyd would be sexy.

Yeah I mean we've only gotten started, right? I planned to have black everything - knobs, bridge, pickups, tuner, even the face of the headstock. I'm sticking to that however creme humbucker mounting rings might really click with the binding.

Yeah no rings is definitely something I've been considering. I've never done it before but I'm reading on forums that people think this makes a positive difference to the tone (from my perspective this sounds like hogwash but who can be sure without trying?).

I'll drop a pickup in there and judge it visually and see if direct is really the way.

And as for zebra... my buckers are all black but I know a hook up for stickers that go over the bobbin...

My thinking is that chrome hardware and zebra pickups along with the binding, carved top and that finish all reflect a sort of classic LP vibe. Then the Floyd and no pickup rings give a more modern type look. However it turns out it'll be great.  :headbang1:

Would no rings work as it looks like it's a normal humbucker rout rather than for wood mount.

59 Les Paul's if only the pickups had been wood mounted.  :cool01:

Cream pickup surrounds tie it all together with the binding for a classy, unified look...jus' sayin'...

stratamania said:
Would no rings work as it looks like it's a normal humbucker rout rather than for wood mount.

59 Les Paul's if only the pickups had been wood mounted.  :cool01:

It has the plunge cut, so going ringless or direct to wood isn't an option, unless: http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=261

I've seen the FuTone product. Whether it makes as big a difference tone wise as marketed or not it does provide a reasonable mechanical solution.

With longer screws how much wood will be left to screw into safely and still have a secure mounting. Just curious on what others have found.

Ahh you're right I'd have to probably mod somehow to do direct mounting. So pickup rings it is.

Great Ape said:
Cream pickup surrounds tie it all together with the binding for a classy, unified look...jus' sayin'...

You're right. I have the blacks so I'll try them, and from there I should be able to visualize it if I changed over to creme...

But with talk of looks aside, I am dying to HEAR and FEEL this guitar too! Damn Warmoth, ship the rest!  :sad:

pabloman said:
How long are pickup ring screws? Don't over think it.

I'm not, just steering some thinking. I'd hate to see someone screw or drill too far inadvertently.

G6JmijW.jpg

Neck arrived. It's nice. For some reason that's the only thing that arrived, even though the packing slip lists a whole bunch of other stuff which I've paid for. What gives, Warmoth?

They have a box they like for necks. If you order more than will fit in that without risking the neck finish, depending on how much more, it's may be in a separate box. I would expect them to arrive at the same time, but who knows? They ship using the cheapest method available, so anything's possible. I'd give it a day or two before I'd be concerned.

If I may amend what I said earlier regarding pickup rings; I failed to notice ( :doh: ) that the back of the body, and the headstock, are black--so, I think you're going to love the black rings...Beautiful guitar!! Hope your shipping conundrum has a simple answer and a happy ending!

Really nice. Here's another example where I think binding on the headstock would really work well with the finsh you've got selected. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Back