Carved top Koa/Mahogany Soloist - updated

HRC51

Just finished assembly yesterday, and maybe the nut and neck need a little attention.

Carved top Soloist
Mahogany body with Koa top
Finished with grain filler and Tru Oil

Neck is flame maple with jet black ebony fretboard
24 3/4" scale with SS 6115 frets

Pickups are Bare Knuckle Aftermath with burnt chrome covers

Attachments

• 0123011110.jpg
    0123011110.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 2,981
  • 0123011110c.jpg
    0123011110c.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 2,915
  • 0123011111a.jpg
    0123011111a.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 2,596
  • 0123011111c.jpg
    0123011111c.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 2,599
Nice - probably the lightest finish I've ever seen on a Koa top, but nice, clean, elegant.

Love the look! Never heard of the pickups though, is it a special model Tim only makes by request?

kböman said:
Love the look! Never heard of the pickups though, is it a special model Tim only makes by request?

BKP have a new website, with new pickups and some of the line changed a bit - P90's are different, the '50 Blackguard became '52...
This is a new pickup in the line!

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments.  This guitar was a mix of old and new for me.  I am a big fan of Jackson, but I was inspired by Blackmachine and Bernie Rico Jr guitars.  I wanted to see and feel the wood grain and combine it with my favorite Soloist shape.  The carved top was a bonus.  I really like the lack of inlay on the ebony too.

kböman: The Aftermath is one of the new offerings from BKP.  It is my first time with this brand.  I wanted them for the modern high gain sound, but I am pleasantly surprised how well the neck pickup is on clean channels.  The burnt chrome reminded me of the new PRS '53/10 look.  Here is BKP description:

Accelerated bass response for exceptionally fast tracking of high-speed staccato riffing with crushing mid range and precise high-end articulation; perfect for the modern metal guitarist.

Nice looking axe, indeed.  The one quibble I have is not with the guitar itself, but with the funky colored ball ends on the strings - I know that's D'Addario's fault, and if that's the string you prefer, it's what you're stuck with - but it does distract from a very classy visual.

Bagman

bagman67,

I agree that the colored ball ends look out of place with this bridge.  These were my sacrificial strings until I got the setup complete.  I will then switch over to my preferred Ernie Ball.  Better feel and I will have a silver on silver look.

I think I might switch to a dome knob as well.

NonsenseTele said:
kböman said:

BKP have a new website, with new pickups and some of the line changed a bit - P90's are different, the '50 Blackguard became '52...
This is a new pickup in the line!

About time they did something about that site...!

shan564 said:
What do you think of the acoustic sound of koa/mahogany compared to maple/mahogany?

The maple/mahogany combination is much brighter.  The koa/mahogany is very similar to an all mahogany body.

The flame maple neck was really great, but I prefer thicker necks these days.

New neck installed:

25.5 scale
'59 roundback
1 5/8 nut
Wenge with Macassar Ebony fretboard
SS 6115 frets

Good upgrade for me.

Attachments

• Update.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,659
  • Update 2.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,318
Street Avenger said:
What neck profile was on it before?

Previous neck was a standard thin profile with a 1 1/16 nut.  I liked it, but the '59 is just better for me.

Back