Candy Red Strat - COMPLETE!

No updated pics, but discovered a neat little process for giving the peghead the subdued, weathered look I’m going for. 

I’ve buried the decal. Thin coats have turned into heavy coats and I’m  disregarding streaking between applications as they are disappearing with additional coats. 

Every 3rd coat has been lightly buffed with Flitz, a product I use on sweetening my firearms’ actions. Flitz is essentially a semi aggressive rubbing compound that leaves no streaks, but an incredibly, easy to correct light haze that a soft T-shirt could mirror up.

With correct finger pressure and product amount (do not let it buff dry as you would a compound- no diminishing abrasives), surface imperfections are leveled and a polished finish is left behind that can be buffed to high gloss or left as is for a beauful matte finish. It’s just so easy and useful, but be aware and check your work as you move along. It has some teeth to it and you control the level of aggression.

A really useful follow up to this has been wet sanding the surface with 2k paper soaked in tru oil.  Really gives a lovely bit of character to the piece.

I will apply another 5-6 heavies by finger, then call it a day.  After them, I may experiment with careful scraping using a sharp blade at 90*, but will absolutely end up finishing with the 2kgrit fruit oil wet sand  then polish.

The flitz treatment on the neck feels and looks like a pro job, except there’s no thick plastic feel. The finish feels incredible hard and smooth, one with the wood.

Once I return from my moms funeral, next week I’ll pick up where I left off and can add more detailed photos. Warts and all.

God bless.

It sounds like you've found a good process. Looking forward to those pics when you get them.

Back from Louisiana.  Made some progress - completely buried the decal.  Will be adding a few more top coats so I can flatten out the finish if I decide to go glossy.  The decal I bough seemed to be great quality, but the adhesive, though completely dried, is making the decal visible at certain angles - invisible at others.  I think this is known as "silvering". It doesn't bother me enough to start over. I'll address the pores of the rosewood, as well.

VsUJ46r.jpg

yxuMIuW.jpg

More pics to come as we progress. 

A little decal showing at certain angles isn't too big a deal. That finish does look good.

Rgand said:
A little decal showing at certain angles isn't too big a deal. That finish does look good.
Don't know if I'd be too worried about it either. Does look mighty nice.....

Looks great! That is odd how the decal material shows back up, can’t say I’ve seen that happen. But I’ve managed to live with much worse, haha! You mention cleaning up the pores of the rosewood, are you just going to tend to that by sanding or do you have another plan? I always have a bear of a time getting that curved part of the headstock face to smooth out right after spraying finish over a decal. But then, I am “finishing-impaired”.....

BigSteve: Thank you!  Looks much better in person and in direct sunlight, which is more than I can say for myself!

-VB- said:
Looks great! That is odd how the decal material shows back up, can’t say I’ve seen that happen. But I’ve managed to live with much worse, haha! You mention cleaning up the pores of the rosewood, are you just going to tend to that by sanding or do you have another plan? I always have a bear of a time getting that curved part of the headstock face to smooth out right after spraying finish over a decal. But then, I am “finishing-impaired”.....

TY!  Indeed, it is odd, but I've seen worse on actual Fender products, so I'm in the "ok" range. I intend on filling the pores with more layers of TO - I'm at least 16 deep at this point lol.  This is literally my second attempt at finishing over a decal, so I can live with these results.  I'm actually very happy with the way it's turning out.  Next time I'll try my hand at 2K clear. 

Done!  Some minor tuning issues to sort out (bridge angle vs nut slots perhaps), but the fretwork is good enough for the action I like.  The only nut slots that needed to be lowered were the B & high E.  I may open up the width of the others a bit, but not hearing any pinging noises at all.  Just a bit of instability.

These Rocketfire Total 60's pickups...ICONIC Strat tone.  I was terrified taking a gamble on these, but I'm so glad I did.  They go from bubbly, to twangy, to quacky, and beyond.  Just can't believe I finally have the sound I've been hearing in my mind since I was a kid.  All noise free thanks to the Ilitch backplate.

The 1-5/8 nut width is AMAZING.  Now I need to go back and try all the profiles again with this width.  The 59 RB is sublime with it.  No cramped feel at the nut - it took away the blocky feeling of the 1-11/16 at the nut.  Pure comfort and speed.

Anyway, here are some unprofessional pics of the Strat that turned into a tribute to my mom, who loved to subject us to B horror flicks as kids (and we liked it!).  My wedding photographer owes me a trip to the shooting range.  I'll see if he's down to take some professional pics for one of these GoTM's.

NFS1xOt.jpg

5mcYsXe.jpg

ItxK39q.jpg

IPbFq8A.jpg

fQLLrS0.jpg

ULjdGda.jpg

Well that's a sexy fun thing. Apart from that weird logo on the headstock, obviously. :evil4:

I was going to say some smart alec thing about the lack of strap buttons - something something Robert Fripp.

Everybody needs a candy red Strat in their lives. Even better with some sci-fi graphics on the front and some sci-fi alien signal blocking device on the back. Nice job!

Fat Pete said:
Well that's a sexy fun thing. Apart from that weird logo on the headstock, obviously. :evil4:

I was going to say some smart alec thing about the lack of strap buttons - something something Robert Fripp.

Everybody needs a candy red Strat in their lives. Even better with some sci-fi graphics on the front and some sci-fi alien signal blocking device on the back. Nice job!

No detail escapes your eye (that's why we <3 you)!  I need to install some strap locks, but I'll pretend it's going to be a studio guitar for now haha. Have you even seen Fripp's biceps???

Beautiful work, Frank! Great combination, everything really works together to make a great looking whole. Very reminiscent on my younger days, spent at the Oasis theater, watching those same "B" movies. I'm sure your Mom would love it!  :icon_thumright:

Thank you, gents! 

I was just telling Bagger that this is going to force me to learn a whole new style.  Will have to loosen up the 'ol wrist from all the rock-oriented runs and rhythms.  The tones this rig produces are beyond my ability to capitalize on them, but challenge acepted!  Can't wait to learn some Dire Straits, World Machine, Jimi, etc.  Makes me really appreciate fingerpicking and the usefulness of all the tone/volume pots on the guitar.

Really appreciate the kind words, all.  I've resolved the nut issues.  See Tips subforum.

Back