Can you supply your own wood?

• Thread starter misplacedsanity
  • Start date
M

misplacedsanity

I've wanted a quilt maple carved top soloist for some time. I mailed Warmoth to see if they have any suitable wood and didn't get a reply, which I took to mean they didn't. So I've been looking around the net and have found some excellent maple billets, they're not cheap, but there's some outstanding pieces to be had. I've had a good look around the Warmoth site and can't see anything about working with outsourced materials. This isn't something I'd usually be interested in but there isn't anything on the "unique choices" section that really takes my fancy.
Does anyone know if Warmoth would do this?

I don't know if they do or not, but if you call them they're pretty helpful about it and you'd probably get more done in a phone conversation that in a slew of emails.  :toothy11:

Yes they do work with consumer supplied wood...but will still charge you the the flat fee for the would as if you had bought it from them. I guess a expensive "corkage" fee

ocguy106 said:
Yes they do work with consumer supplied wood...but will still charge you the the flat fee for the would as if you had bought it from them. I guess a expensive "corkage" fee

Customer supplied wood can often require more prep work and handling than standard inventory.  By rights, there should be greater charges for the additional work, but there isn't. Be thankful for that.

Be aware customer supplied wood projects can take longer if the wood is not properly seasoned.  If you've found a piece you simply must have, that's great, but a lot of times it isn't that good of a deal in the long run.

There are plenty of luthier suppliers out there that have woods that are "seasoned" just right for guitar building. You would want to find wood that is at the right moisture content of at least 10% or less..

Thanks everyone for the information. I see many phone calls in my near future.

Wyliee said:
ocguy106 said:

Be aware customer supplied wood projects can take longer if the wood is not properly seasoned.  If you've found a piece you simply must have, that's great, but a lot of times it isn't that good of a deal in the long run.

I like my maple seasoned with salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne.... :icon_biggrin:

"Can you supply your own wood?"

That's what she said,,,,  :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :evil4:

Back