can you finish a body with ...

vtpcnk

... strap buttons, string ferrules etc on it?

sorry if this sounds stupid - but something i need to know.

You could, but you'd have to tape them off.

But why bother, it's not like it will take more than 5 minutes to take all that stuff off.  :icon_scratch:

I'm being driven by an evil force to type:

"Can you solder the pickups pots, switch, and jacks while waiting for the body to arrive?"

Ahhhagggg! ! :evil4:

ha ha yea i know it sounded stupid.

see this is the issue. right now i am in india. and i have somebody coming in from the usa in 2 weeks time.

so that only gives me duration to get an unfinished thinline body done in the usa.

no, i cannot buy a finished body because i cannot get a thinline with a tummy cut readymade anywhere.

so i have a friend here in india who makes guitars and will do the clear gloss on the body for me.

but i would rather that atleast the strap buttons and maybe the ferrules are already installed in the usa by somebody who knows what is involved with doing such work on a semi-hollow - because my friend here only makes solid electrics.

so that's the reason for my line of questioning.

Somebody is going to finish the body for you, but doesn't know how to install strap buttons or ferrules? What, they don't have screwdrivers and drills in India?
Lord, the strap buttons take five minutes or less, drill two holes and screw them in. The ferrules, you push them in with a screwdriver. If they are too tight, heat them up first then push them in, or sand the holes a little bit. Again, five minutes. Honestly, why are you making a guitar if you haven't bothered to learn this after hundreds of posts? Sorry to be rude.

>Somebody is going to finish the body for you, but doesn't know how to install strap buttons or ferrules?

not sure why you are asking this question when i have clearly noted my concerns about putting strap buttons on the semi-hollow.

my friend is not cocerned about it as he does such work daily - the concern is mine as i feel that a semi hollow might require different or more subtle approach.

>The ferrules, you push them in with a screwdriver. If they are too tight, heat them up first then push them in, or sand the holes a little bit.

thanks for this information.

>why are you making a guitar if you haven't bothered to learn this after hundreds of posts?

seen any posts of mine on this issue earlier than yesterday?

and do you have to be so aggressive about his?

Now understanding vtpcnk's position, I do think we're being a bit hard on him.

Vtpcnk:  I'm sure that the clear gloss on your flame (or spalt or birdseye, or whatever you select) top  thinline as applied by your friend will look wonderful.  For the finish to work well, you do not want to have any hardware attached to the body. 

Attaching the hardware is very simple after the body is finished.  There are numerous posts (some of mine included) that go through this in great detail.  As others have noted elsewhere in the forum, there is ample wood at the heel of the thinline for the strap button screws.  Using an appropriate sized drill is strongly recommended. 

Two weeks is not much time to get a body made.  You need to place your order as soon as possible.  However, I see that this may go against your careful and thorough approach.  My suggestion is to take this as an opportunity to jump in.  With a high quality warmoth body, you will not go wrong no matter what you choose.

Best of luck,

Mayfly.

tfarny, no problem.

for the amount of useful information i get from this forum, i am willing to put up with a bit of outrage over some of my ignorant questions :)

tfarny said:
Somebody is going to finish the body for you, but doesn't know how to install strap buttons or ferrules? What, they don't have screwdrivers and drills in India?
Lord, the strap buttons take five minutes or less, drill two holes and screw them in. The ferrules, you push them in with a screwdriver. If they are too tight, heat them up first then push them in, or sand the holes a little bit. Again, five minutes. Honestly, why are you making a guitar if you haven't bothered to learn this after hundreds of posts? Sorry to be rude.

you're as abrasive as a belt sander to the face! and thats why we love you.  :laughing7:

Back