Can I go from a TOM to a Gotoh 2 point on my VIP?

arealken

I really like my Warmoth  VIP, but I have got to have a tremolo. I bought the guitar thinking I could do a Schaller non invasive  tune-o-matic trem on it, but after I bought the Schaller, I found out much to my chagrin that the original owner had used a metric tone pros TOM , and the Schaller would not fit.
There is one other non invasive  option, I don't recall, but it is an ugly big clunky retrofit unit, and I do not want that.
Can the TOM be removed and replaced with a Gotoh 2 point? Thanks so much for taking my call, I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (19).jpg
    s-l1600 (19).jpg
    416 KB · Views: 221
By a Gotoh 2-point, do you mean a Strat tremolo?
Because that would mean a major invasive operation to get in place. Routing for the spring cavity, routing for the trem cavity and so on.

Changing a metric stud to an imperial one shouldn’t be much of a problem - BUT - surely the Schaller is already metric? Since they’re made in Germany I mean.

He might be talking about something that looks like this?

CIMG2131.JPG

It looks like it's designed to be retrofitted in place of a TOM bridge for those with LPs, SGs, etc. that were never routed for balancing springs, block clearance, etc.

If that's the case, and stud spacing is an issue, then it's just a matter of drilling out the bushing holes, stuffing them with fresh wood, and re-drilling to suit. Not insurmountable, but for what used bodies cost, I think I'd question whether or not it would be a better idea to simply obtain a body configured for a vibrato to begin with.

Thanks for the replies, really helped me fugure out what I think is going on with my guitar. It does  appear to be a Import spec Metric Tone Pros with large studs that take an M6 Thread for the posts, and although post to post spacing would work( post to post in 74MM on my tone pros, and Schaller retrofits to 74mm to 74.5 with adapters included)  I cannot go back and put in the US spec smaller Nashville posts that would accept the Shaller  US spec standard M5 posts without a dowel and refill, which ain't gonna happen.
I think the reason someone may have went with the metric tone pros was because they prefer the narrower string spacing vs. US spec, which in itself doesn't bother me.
Thanks for the recommendation on the trem , its also out of my wheelhouse with that big spring sticking up which I do not care for.
Oh yeah, the ugly trem I was referencing in my OP was this 'Stesbar'one;

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--lvoMmqa3--/f_auto,t_large/v1574093164/x8nyfgaidnz4whjkw8pw.jp

Have a nice weekend.

Back