Can all/most models have the 24 fret reposition

jco5055

Hi guys! I was wondering can all/most models have the 24 fret reposition? I ask because I only see strats and soloist in the custom builder. Old posts seem to suggest all models can though. Has this changed?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I assume you mean the 24 fret reposition for neck pickups. It is available on other models than Strats and Soloists. For instance Teles.

If a model does not have an option in the builder it may be available if you contact Warmoth sales.

Some options become unavailable if another choice would contradict it.

Thanks! Off the top of your head do you know what options change this? Would a roasted neck do it (only reason why I can think of since that's the only non-standard choice I make in the builder)?

jco5055 said:
Thanks! Off the top of your head do you know what options change this? Would a roasted neck do it (only reason why I can think of since that's the only non-standard choice I make in the builder)?

Are you talking about the Neck not allowing the option, or the Body?

In most cases the body has to be rear-routed. A top routed Strat with SSS pickups can't be shifted down. A tele body can get a 24 fret repo if the neck pickup is a Tele etc...

There is nothing in the builder that looks at your neck choices and then would disallow a selection on a body. If the Neck isn't allowing an extension, it probably has to do with the construction you selected. It has to be Modern construction.

Wolff05 said:
jco5055 said:

Are you talking about the Neck not allowing the option, or the Body?

In most cases the body has to be rear-routed. A top routed Strat with SSS pickups can't be shifted down. A tele body can get a 24 fret repo if the neck pickup is a Tele etc...

There is nothing in the builder that looks at your neck choices and then would disallow a selection on a body. If the Neck isn't allowing an extension, it probably has to do with the construction you selected. It has to be Modern construction.

I was referring to the bodies. Even when I look at modern shapes like the King V (which as far as I know was originally 24 frets when Jackson released it), it seems like the 24 fret reposition option is not able to be checked, no matter what pickup choice I make (and it is rear routed).

I'm looking at the builder, and yeah, I see what you mean. The box is there to click, but it won't let you. I would suggest letting Warmoth know about that. It's probably just a glitch on the page.

The other option "24 Fret Reposition" is most conditional on is the "Middle Pickup" rout choice. Often the checkbox for 24 Fret Repo will not become available until after you have chosen the middle pickup rout. This is the case with the VK body, for example.

This is because the middle pickup rout also gets repositioned when you choose the 24 Fret Repo. Sometimes this can cause conflicts between the middle and neck pickup routs, and other times between the middle and bridge pickup routs (as in in the case of a middle pickup rout conflicting with an angled bridge humbucker). Usually the only safe middle pickup choice with a 24 Fret repo is a single coil. (And "None" of course....which is really the only correct choice, because middle pickups suck.)  :icon_biggrin:

There may be a caveat. I remember Aaron saying they removed some options that could get the average buyer in trouble. This way people must call and the Warmoth rep can discuss any potential issues or conflicts before the order is placed. (well Aaron posted with the answer while I was typing)

Back