California Redwood as body wood (NOT just laminate top)

Max1981

I don't know if this has been discussed before; I checked in the search bar and it doesn't seem so. Regardless...

About eight years ago or so my dad bought some Redwood intended for a project that never came into fruition. He wound up storing it in the back of the garage, where it remained until last week. He says it's not going to be used for anything now, so if I wanted to have my way with it, I could.

I've been a member for a while now, but I've never actually built my own guitar yet, for various reasons. I plan to use this wood because it's really the only good stuff in the garage--my other options are particleboard (might actually use it for an intentionally cheapo build) and centuries-old mahogany (pieces of a piano, and I don't think my dad will be too keen on me carving that up).

My question to you, the all-knowing, much more seasoned builders of this forum: What can I expect from a guitar body made entirely of California Redwood?

There's another thread about a new mystery body wood which turned out to be roasted ash. But in that one I suggested it might be redwood.

I'd just go with it, I mean what one piece of wood may sound like is unique. It's going to be what it can be and what you make of it in terms of craftsmanship.

This is a lam top but I think it would be cool.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Redwood.aspx

LPSRW16NACH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Tonar8353 said:
I finished a SG for Blackdog that had a redwood body and a walnut top that was really nice. (see this thread http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26213.msg376395#msg376395 ) You might want to PM him and see what he thinks about it.

Thanks for reminding me about this Tonar!  I still have not posted the finished pictures of the Zappa SG.  I took some pics last week, but they did not turn out well.  I will get some up in the next couple days.

Anyway, as for Redwood for a body, I really love the SG.  The tone from the SG surprised me a bit and not sure if it's the Redwood or the pickups.  It is a really bright sound!  The pickups I used are Throbak ER Custom humbuckers and I had never heard them live before.  Not sure if it's the Redwood or the pickups, but the sound is rather Teleske.  I definitely use the tone knobs a lot, but the sound is fantastic...

Good luck if you decide to wack up some of that Redwood and be sure to post some pics!
:rock-on:

Black Dog said:
Tonar8353 said:
I finished a SG for Blackdog that had a redwood body and a walnut top that was really nice. (see this thread http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26213.msg376395#msg376395 ) You might want to PM him and see what he thinks about it.

Thanks for reminding me about this Tonar!  I still have not posted the finished pictures of the Zappa SG.  I took some pics last week, but they did not turn out well.  I will get some up in the next couple days.

Anyway, as for Redwood for a body, I really love the SG.  The tone from the SG surprised me a bit and not sure if it's the Redwood or the pickups.  It is a really bright sound!  The pickups I used are Throbak ER Custom humbuckers and I had never heard them live before.  Not sure if it's the Redwood or the pickups, but the sound is rather Teleske.  I definitely use the tone knobs a lot, but the sound is fantastic...

Good luck if you decide to wack up some of that Redwood and be sure to post some pics!
It is a sweet ass SG Bart... :icon_thumright:

And to The Moderne Dance, cool avatar. I've often pondered the idea of making a Moderne. Maybe one from redwood would be cool...

My CAD version...
Modern4_zpsd053dd7a.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
Black Dog said:
Tonar8353 said:

It is a sweet ass SG Bart... :icon_thumright:

Thanks Bro...
I have also wanted a Moderne for quite some time. 
Iam diggin' your CAD version.  Very cool!!!
:kewlpics:

Now back to your regularly schedule program...

DangerousR6 said:
And to The Moderne Dance, cool avatar. I've often pondered the idea of making a Moderne. Maybe one from redwood would be cool...

A redwood Moderne is PRECISELY my plan!

Black Dog said:
As for Redwood for a body, I really love the SG.  The tone from the SG surprised me a bit and not sure if it's the Redwood or the pickups.  It is a really bright sound!  The pickups I used are Throbak ER Custom humbuckers and I had never heard them live before.  Not sure if it's the Redwood or the pickups, but the sound is rather Teleske.  I definitely use the tone knobs a lot, but the sound is fantastic...

Bright and Tele-esque are right up my alley! I'm probably going to stick some GFS humbuckers into it, either KMZVs or Retrotrons. I'll start posting pictures once the project is underway.

Black Dog said:
I have also wanted a Moderne for quite some time. 

Building one is undoubtedly going to be less expensive than buying one.

Redwood isn't a very forgiving wood.  It will splinter, chip and dent if you look at it wrong.  All of your cutting tools should be sharp as hell, of quality material and in good working order.  If it's your first scratch build and there is some emotional attachment to the lumber, I suggest getting some scrap wood and practice first if.  If this redwood isn't of importance to you, then have at it and be prepared to spend time fixing mistakes.

I've got a couple redwood top and a couple redwood body guitars.  Growing up in the Santa Cruz mountains, I have a real emotional affection for the tree but I can't say it's my favorite wood for a guitar.  You can expect a very light and resonant result.  The body absorbs the string vibrations and you can feel it in your gut as you play.  The result is a very punchy sound and not much sustain.  I finished mine in nitro and even after months and months of curing (yes I know that is an incorrect term for nitro but that is the generally accepted term) it's still very very easy to dent.  Personally, I don't really care about nicks, scratches and dents...but, I know a lot of people here are very anal about visual perfection.  If that's you, then look into a poly finish or another that will protect better.

Wolfie351 said:
Redwood isn't a very forgiving wood.  It will splinter, chip and dent if you look at it wrong.  All of your cutting tools should be sharp as hell, of quality material and in good working order.  If it's your first scratch build and there is some emotional attachment to the lumber, I suggest getting some scrap wood and practice first if.  If this redwood isn't of importance to you, then have at it and be prepared to spend time fixing mistakes.

+1.

I worked with it enough when I was in construction 30+ years ago and determined then that I want nothing to do with working with it as a guitar wood.

If you do, it needs to be among the choicest of cuts, which is very difficult and time consuming to sort through with no guarantee'd results, and as mentioned above, your tools need to be sharp beyond sharp.  Drill presses need to be set to the fastest speed, and I would use routing templates at a minimum.  I'd be hard pressed to take a rasp or a course file to redwood.  I'd be prepared to do lots of sanding, and use a fair amount of grain fill & sanding sealer.

Best option, find another wood that has similar appearances, but better stability.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I worked with it enough when I was in construction 30+ years ago and determined then that I want nothing to do with working with it as a guitar wood.

If you do, it needs to be among the choicest of cuts, which is very difficult and time consuming to sort through with no guaranteed results, and your tools need to be sharp beyond sharp.  Drill presses need to be set to the fastest speed, and I would use routing templates at a minimum.  I'd be hard pressed to take a rasp or a course file to redwood.  I'd be prepared to do lots of sanding, and use a fair amount of grain fill & sanding sealer.

Best option, find another wood that has similar appearances, but better stability.

Wolfie351 said:
I've got a couple redwood top and a couple redwood body guitars.  Growing up in the Santa Cruz mountains, I have a real emotional affection for the tree but I can't say it's my favorite wood for a guitar.  You can expect a very light and resonant result.  The body absorbs the string vibrations and you can feel it in your gut as you play.  The result is a very punchy sound and not much sustain.  I finished mine in nitro and even after months and months of curing (yes I know that is an incorrect term for nitro but that is the generally accepted term) it's still very very easy to dent.  Personally, I don't really care about nicks, scratches and dents...but, I know a lot of people here are very anal about visual perfection.  If that's you, then look into a poly finish or another that will protect better.

Well then.

Guess this stuff is going back in the corner.

Still want to do a Moderne build eventually though. Maybe splicing some Warmoth blanks together will do the trick.

Back