Butterscotch Blonde + Amber neck finishing help (ReRanch)

Mor Paul

Epic Member
T1207a.jpg
T1207b.jpg

That is the Swamp Ash body I just ordered off of the Showcase.

VMT1442a.jpg

VMT1442b.jpg

That is the maple neck. :p

The body is going to be a Butterscotch Blond, with the grain showing pretty clearly.
The neck should be satin, with an amber tint.

I'm ordering the oil-based grain filler, butterscotch blonde finish, fender amber neck finish, satin clear nitro finish, and glossy clear nitro finish from ReRanch.
Can anybody help me as to the application of these?

Much appreciated,
-Max

You forgot the sanding sealer...

Body

1.) First, you have to fill the grain; I usually use the water based filler, but the oil based shouldn't be a lot different although I don't know about drying times on it. Apply the filler as evenly as possible, after each application use an old credit card or similar piece of hard plastic hto scape all the excess not in the grain. After letting it thoroughly dry, sand back level with #220. Expect to do several fills before you get it level/even. Once you think it is, sand to #320.
2.) Shoot at least a couple of coats of nitro sanding sealer. Although it may have seemed level, after you let the first cost of sanding sealer dry/cure, you will probably find some spots that aren't even/smooth. Just use some more filler on those, then more sanding sealer. Sand the final coat of sanding sealer back to #320.
3.) Once completely filled/sealed/leveled, you're ready to shoot the butterscotch blonde; apply extremely light coats and build them up till you get the proper effect. When shooting any form of toner, apply extremely light coats so as not to get runs or build up opaquecity. (SP?)
4.) Now you're ready for the nitro top coats. Again, shoot extremely thin coats and biuld them up. Some people like to shoot a few coats and level sand, I personally shoot at least 10-12 coats before level/wet sanding. If you have any issues with the finish at this point you can always shoot more coats and fix as the nitro will melt into the coats already applied.

Neck

1.) Shoot the Fender Neck Amber EXTREMELY thin. it will get darker with each application, but does NOT like to be shot heavily at all.
2.) Once you're gotten the proper amount of tint from the amber, shoot it with sanding sealer. It is imperative that you shoot these coats EXTREMELY thin and buikd them up, as nitro sealer will "melt" the amber and you can wind up with pseudo-runs that get darker than the rest of  the neck from melting the amber tint and pooling it. Once this step is done, sand back to #32o carefully.
3.) Same deal as the sealer, you can still melt the underlying coats and fudge up the uniformity of the tint if you shoot too heavy, EXTREMELY light coats and build it up.
4.) Always hand sand for final wet sand/leveling, the contours of a neck don't lend themselves to palm sanders without sanding through the finish at edges.

When done with the above steps for body/neck do final polish/buffing.

As it sounds like you haven't tried this at home before, buy some pieces of ash and maple and practice your spraying techniques while you're waiting on all those filler coats to dry, you;ll be glad you did. Every step takes longer to completely dry than you think.

Jack has pretty much given you the gospel on how to do it. Hope you enjoy sanding my friend! Swamp Ash is meant to require more filling than Mahoganny and my FMT Mahoganny Tele was enough sanding for me!

Thanks, Jack.
I'm not quite clear as to what the sanding sealer is for or where to get it, though. Any recommendations?

You can get it at ReRanch.com or StewMac.com; or the Deft product at most Ace/True Value hardware, Woodcraft, or many Home Depot/Lowes stores.

It seals a consistant finish over a filled and/or stained body to shoot your gloss/satin top coats on; needs to be sanded to #320/#400 after being applied. Technically you could use very thin coats of lacquer built up to do the same thing, but using the sealer product is quicker/easier.

On some wood without much grain to speak of, like alder, you just shoot 2-4 coats of sealer in lieu of filler.

Thanks. What color grain filler would you recommend for this guitar?
I want the grain to show, but I don't want it to be ugly or overpowering...

Thanks again,
  -n00b, er.. Max. :p

Tonar is the master of vintage Fender finishes, he uses Jasco paste filler, Here's a link to his instructions for a '50s Tele with some pics, but it requires mixing your own paint/lacquer and using a compressor/gun.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1599.0

I think the Jasco is a reasonable facsimile to the original "FullerPlast" used by Fender during the vintage era.

:O I'd completely forgotten I'd asked there. :doh:

Thanks for your help. I may have more questions once I get my body, neck, and finishing stuff.

Okay, I haven't gotten my body and neck yet, but I'm looking at the finishing supplies.
My local Home Depot apparently doesn't carry Deft brand laquer, but they do carry Minwax and Minwax Helmsman laquer. Any opinions on those compared to Deft?
Also, what color grain filler is recommended for this? Clear or brown?

Edit: It looks like the local HD also carries DAP wood filler. The types are Walnut, Golden Oak, Light Oak, and Pine. (also white, but I don't think I'm gonna use it)

Whoops. What I meant was that I was planning on ordering everything from ReRanch. I'd prefer local stuff, if it's cheaper and works as well.

Deft -

Is available at WALMART !~~ in the paint section.

I have used a lot of DEFT, bought a case of it, and have several full unopened cans leftover (if ya want 'em send me a pm here).

I like Deft because it pretty much does it.  Hard to get permanent blush, and while it will run, it also flows well too.  Has flow out and retarders built in.  The only "bad" thing about Deft is that it has a UV blocker, which effectively slows the "ambering".  However, I can tell ya... and will show you the pictures if need be, that Deft does in fact amber up nicely, it just takes longer than a non-UV blocked lacquer.

Next time I visit the other big W, I'll look. I believe there are other people here from North Carolina that have had trouble getting their hands on it.
(Your telecasters got me to make this  :icon_thumright:)

sanding sealer from Deft is a version of nitro lacquer, but I'm not sure if it contanis the anti blush and flow out additives that make Deft lacquer so nice

Back