Building a guitar. Scale lengths and what not.

WarmothRules

Ok I'm in a signed band and they tune to B standard. All their past songs were done on a 6 string tuned to B but they want to use 7 strings in the future. Now I'm replacing the old guitar players spot and have the privilage to write the material for they're next CD. I'm used to playing 7 strings and 6 strings tuned to B and also 6 strings tuned E standard. My main guitar now is a warmoth 6 string tuned to B but i'd like to do some soloing on the next CD using the higher strings of a 7 string. The string tension on my 6 string warmoth right now is perfect not to tight not too floppy. I see that the warmoth 7 strings use a scale length of 25" and their 6 strings are 25 1/2". This would make the strings a lot more floppy using the warmoth 7 string wouldn't it? I don't want to go the Ibanez universe route or any thing. I want a warmoth. Do you people think the 1/2" scale difference would make a big string tension difference?

you could always go with the zakk wylde strings...  i've never seen them but i hear they start at .74 or something..  that would tighten them up a bit.  Mind you thats for a six string.  I dont knwo if they make a 7 string version of the pack.

Don't think the 1/2 inch is going to make a big diff, go to a store and play a PRS, they're mostly 25" scale necks, except on the chreap SE stuff.

Whay kind of music do you do that requires the "tune to B standard. All their past songs were done on a 6 string tuned to B but they want to use 7 strings in the future. "??? :icon_scratch:

jackthehack said:
Don't think the 1/2 inch is going to make a big diff, go to a store and play a PRS, they're mostly 25" scale necks, except on the chreap SE stuff.

Whay kind of music do you do that requires the "tune to B standard. All their past songs were done on a 6 string tuned to B but they want to use 7 strings in the future. "??? :icon_scratch:
It's technical deathmetal. :toothy12:

In trying to Wiki what that was I found a 30 second clip of Cryptopsy – Orgiastic Disembowelment, which is about 29 seconds too long.

The 25" scale length shouldn't make the low B too floppy as long as you use a fairly thicker gauge. I've heard arguments that the low B doesn't intonate well on a 25" scale, but I have no first hand experience in the matter. Just some food for thought.

jackthehack said:
In trying to Wiki what that was I found a 30 second clip of Cryptopsy – Orgiastic Disembowelment, which is about 29 seconds too long.
yeah those bands are a tad sloppy check out :headbang1: deeds of flesh

DanDeTora said:
The 25" scale length shouldn't make the low B too floppy as long as you use a fairly thicker gauge. I've heard arguments that the low B doesn't intonate well on a 25" scale, but I have no first hand experience in the matter. Just some food for thought.

on my 6 string tuned to B i use 13-56 d addario. I'd like to go no bigger than a 56 on the low B

jackthehack said:

lol. interesting name for a song, eh?

"Orgiastic Disembowelment"

What means Disembowelment?? :icon_scratch:
Don't talk to difficult!!!! :laughing3:

I usually don't like the sound of death/black bands... but the coolest song of a B string for me came from ZW - Funeral Bell! Obviously his guitars are 24" 3/4...

I'm a weird dude speedy death metal sounds relaxing to me where as Dave Mathews makes me uneasy when I hear it. Gets under my skin. I like blue grass, jazz, and classical music, also some 80's shred stuff YEAH!!! :guitarplayer2:

I can't take this anymore, I was gonna avoid this thread, but it keeps sucking me back in.  Is this B tuning , Tuning Down from normal E?

So you really dont need a truss rod in the neck or what?  You gotta be carefull bending strings so as not to poke your own eye out?

Mom, I wanna tune to "B" for Christmas,    "Oh Ralphie, You'le poke your eye out"

I thought tuning down a half a step was the cats meow

Alfang said:
I can't take this anymore, I was gonna avoid this thread, but it keeps sucking me back in.  Is this B tuning , Tuning Down from normal E?

So you really dont need a truss rod in the neck or what?  You gotta be carefull bending strings so as not to poke your own eye out?

Mom, I wanna tune to "B" for Christmas,    "Oh Ralphie, You'le poke your eye out"

I thought tuning down a half a step was the cats meow
'B' tuning on a standard 7 string is BEADGBE. You're adding the low B, a fourth below the E. It isn't rocket science.

If you're using a 6 string tuned down to B, you'd tune your whole guitar down a fourth. Normally you'd use thicker gauges for this.

um i use 13-56 for B standard. 9-46 in e standard. I tune B E A D F flat and B for B standard. With 13-56 you get the same tension as a normal 6 string tuned standard. The low "E" is still a 46!

I don't think you will have a problem with a the B tuning on the slightly shorter scale since it's in what you would call a "Standard" tuning on a 7.

You might have issues if you went down to A though.

Back