Build 2

Stew

Some of you may remember me asking for some photoshop mockups for my tele build. I'd decided on a padouk fatback neck but wasn't sure what finish to go for on a swamp ash body. In the end I bought a showcase piece. It arrived yesterday with the neck  :toothy10:

The details:
Body flame maple on swamp ash, amber dye finish with trans brown back.
Neck is ebony on padouk fatback, SS 6115 frets, white TUSQ nut and MOP inlay

I am blown away, particularly by the neck ... it's a beast  :toothy12:
The fatback profile with 6115 SS frets just seems monsterous ... in a good way. Can't wait to get it all set up.

... and that's where the joy ends for the moment ... still waiting for pickups (Fezzter's Effbuckers), Stellartone Tonestyler and Hipshot tuners.
Regular post from the States to Aus has been really slow, but I am hoping they will arrive in the next week as they were all shipped about a week after my Dangerous neckplate shipped and it arrived the day before the Warmoth parts (thanks again Doug).

So ... still waiting.  :sad:

Pics attached ... hard to capture just how great it looks 'in the flesh'!

Attachments

• Front_outside.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Neck_outside.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 447
  • Neck_grain.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 398
  • Neck & body.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 471
Max said:
Guitar looks great!
Isn't Fezzter on the TDPRI forum?

Yeah he is ... that's ok isn't it Max? :icon_biggrin:

I'd been looking around for pickups for this guitar and wanted to go noise free, particularly after my success with the Bill Lawrence NF singles in my strat. Anyway Bill & Becky were/are in the process of moving the whole operation to new premises so it looked like it might be a long wait for their pickups. So I was lookin' on TDPRI one day in regards to noise free pickups and saw something about Fezzter's Effbucker (that's his 'polite' way of saying F*CKBUCKER). Checked out a YouTube video where he showed them off. Sounded cool (for YouTube) and the price was right. Not completely noise free but damn near close enough. Check 'em out:

http://fezzterpickups.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2296915

WARNING—The following video is not for those easily offended by the occasional use of curse words (all right ... a LOT of cussin'). Effbucker action from about 12min:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIFlR__uwA&feature=feedf_more

Stew said:
Anyway Bill & Becky were/are in the process of moving the whole operation to new premises so it looked like it might be a long wait for their pickups.

Yes it is!  Ordered my tele microcoils on July-12, still waiting.  Not really in a hurry anyway, the guitar they are going in is not finished yet.

Love Fezzter at 13:08.

BTW, beautiful guitar!!!

Man that's really nice! The grain in the neck also looks fantastic. I'm going to enjoy watching the progress on this one.

I'm at a loss, and don't have a clue to what I like best...Uncle Fezzter or your guitar - both BIG winners in either case (thanks!)  :icon_thumright:

Corey P. said:
That body is pure class.  May I ask what the writing on the neck plate is/means?

You can ASK Corey ....

Nah, just jokin' ... It's a Sanskrit mantra that is an invocation to the Hindu Goddess Saraswati—Om Shreem Breem Saraswatiya Namaha. She's the Goddess of knowledge, music and the arts. It's my way of humbling myself before I play—realising that the most creative stuff comes from somewhere beyond the limited individual self. It's also my way of saying 'Thank You' that I can have such cool guitars to play.

Now, where's the 'hands in prayer' emoticon?

Stew said:
Corey P. said:
That body is pure class.  May I ask what the writing on the neck plate is/means?

You can ASK Corey ....
:laughing11:

It's a Sanskrit mantra that is an invocation to the Hindu Goddess Saraswati—Om Shreem Breem Saraswatiya Namaha. She's the Goddess of knowledge, music and the arts.  It's my way of humbling myself before I play—realising that the most creative stuff comes from somewhere beyond the limited individual self.

Awesome - I can completely relate to that sentiment/belief.

Plus it looks killer.  :headbang1:

Just come from the post office, last delivery of the week and I'm one step closer to havin' all the bits.

Stellartone Tonestyler arrived ... but still waiting for pups and tuners  :sad:

Haven't seen much talk about the Tonestyler here on the forums so thought I'd add my 2c. I just love this thing on my Strat!  :headbang:

I know it's expensive for what it is ... and if you've got the patience I'd highly recommend putting something like this together yourself. Personally I couldn't be bothered which is why I forked out the $.

The reason I love it is that it works more like a low pass filter than a typical guitar tone control. Coming from a recording background I find this much better for shaping the tone than the traditional fixed point tone control. It's like slicing the tops off at a particular frequency without affecting the frequencies below it too much ... and then you can vary that cut-off point if you want it darker. Whereas with the traditional approach that frequency point is fixed and then you decide how much of it you want to cut. Check out the pic from the Stellartone website for a visual of what's goin' on.

EQ_Chart_4-498.jpg

Needless to say, I liked it so much I bought another for the Tele!  :icon_thumright:

They're heeeere ....

Next time you see this baby will be in the gallery  :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• P1020764.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 410
  • P1020766.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 401
Stew said:
Needless to say, I liked it so much I bought another for the Tele!  :icon_thumright:

I've found I'm a really, really big fan of soft, dark tones in a guitar; I think my default setup from now on will be a Tonestyler AND a master tone pot.  That's how I'm rigging up the bass I'm building, and how I'm re-wiring my Tele (although with that it's a Varitone + master tone)

Back