Buddy Guy

Problem with Greatist hits machines is the fans, not the Artist
Eric, Buddy, Jeff and most are all putting out Recordings, and they put out good music, Maybe Buddy and Jeff more than Eric, but they all still record, Do they make # 1 hits, Well that is like asking if they are popular with the kids, Remember # 1 hits are in POP Music, not Blues, Not Adult contemporary. Eric is probably never going to make another #1 hit no matter what he records, his audience is not the buying crowd. Which points out that no matter what he records, if it is the best work of his life, he will always be known for songs like I shot the Sheriff and Badge. However he has current recordings.
You're friend needs to look at a persons work, and Buddy has kept that up, and he sells decent numbers to his fans.
Let us look at a recent thread on this board, Seems that MR Big is about to release a Disc, wow, great job, however I bet it sells less than 50 thousand copies. But when they do, they are a current Artist, not a "where are they now file" Artist. And they will have a current Disc to support on tour. You will not be able to call them a 80s hair band that faded away, they will be a 80s hair band still recording, Such as Bon Jovi, Now, I am not saying they are as good as Bon Jovi, or have put out as many Albums as Bon Jovi since the fall of Hair Metal, but their work will not be able to be dismissed as not doing anything. Buddy ranks with Bon Jovi, keeps putting out albums, other artist rank with Mr Big, and others like Faster no-no Cat have not made a recording since the hair days.
All three could be called Greatest Hit Machines if gone out on tour tomorrow, and most of their fans will want to hear stuff from the Hair Metal days, but that is the fans, not the band on stage.
So when the drunks in the audience are screaming  for Buddy to play These Shoes, and he plays Skin Deep, is he a greatest hits machine, or playing a song off his current CD?

Hey Guys, Buddy Guy is going to be performing on September 4th 2016 at FAIRFfest in Fairfield Iowa. Tickets just went on sale, get yours at http://fairfestiowa.com Looking forward to seeing you all this Labor Day weekend!! -FAIRfest Team  :rock-on:

Top 4 (in no order) blues guitarist influences:

Albert King
Buddy Guy
Freddie King
Mike Bloomfield

Back