Buddy Guy

lafromla1

I've been building up my musical library by joining Napster (the legal way) and Rhapsody and downloading as many albums of older blues and blues/rock to listen to and you'll find so much depth that much of today's music is lacking.  I think it was Clapton, as well as others I'm sure, that said if you want to learn the way of a certain musician, listen to who influenced them instead.

IMHO, and I am not trying to cause a debate, I think the greatest overall blues/rock guitarist that ever played is Buddy Guy.  At 74 he is still kicking ass (I saw him just this last summer) and back in the day, if it weren't for the higher ups at Chess Records who wanted him to play traditional blues songs, he would have been Jimi, before there was a Jimi.  I found this DVD that looked like it was bootlegged from a British club in the early/mid 60's and it had all the famous musicians from the area (at the time) and Buddy came out and lit the place up.  Found it in a $5 bin.

Here is a vid from GC Sessions with Buddy Guy that just came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU5xA6ty0a4&feature=player_embedded

I have a picture of Jimi in front of a stage looking up at Buddy Guy as he plays
Yes he is a great Blues man, we went to see him in September and he still can hold a crowd amazed
Glad you found him, he is one of the greats of the blues, Probably in the top ten.

Last weekend, I enjoyed 3 nights of blues here in Phoenix;
Friday = John Mayall
Saturday = Buddy Guy
Sunday = Robert Cray

All shows were great, but Buddy Guy was by far the best.  The way he engaged the audience was fantastic. 
He definitely knows how to pound that strat.  About half way through the show, while jammin' his arse off, he just walks off stage and starts strolling through the audiance.
He spent about 20 minutes wondering through all parts of the venue, all while never missing a beat.  The crowd loved it!

The other shows were great as well, but Buddy really won the heart of all who attended.
:rock-on: Buddy...

Black Dog said:
Last weekend, I enjoyed 3 nights of blues here in Phoenix;
Friday = John Mayall
Saturday = Buddy Guy
Sunday = Robert Cray

All shows were great, but Buddy Guy was by far the best.  The way he engaged the audience was fantastic. 
He definitely knows how to pound that strat.  About half way through the show, while jammin' his arse off, he just walks off stage and starts strolling through the audiance.
He spent about 20 minutes wondering through all parts of the venue, all while never missing a beat.  The crowd loved it!

The other shows were great as well, but Buddy really won the heart of all who attended.
:rock-on: Buddy...
that is one of his trademarks, He has been doing that since before there was wireless setups.

id agree that Buddy Guy is the greatest living blues guitarist, but out of all, livin and dead, i still prefer Stevie Ray Vaughan

ledzepplin6914 said:
id agree that Buddy Guy is the greatest living blues guitarist, but out of all, livin and dead, i still prefer Stevie Ray Vaughan

Different kind of blues; Chicago vs. Texas...
But in general, I agree with that statement +100,000  :icon_thumright:
Stevie is among my top three guitarist of all times; dead or alive
:rock-on:

I love Steevie, my problem is mot with him, it is just everybody wants to sound like him, It pushes me more and more to do the Buddy/BB/Albert King style.
But then there is always Albert Collins..... Ice Picking is Right !

Saw Buddy Guy a few years back, and the folks around me were worrying if it was going to be one of his good nights or bad.... He does seem to have a reputation for putting on great shows and well, not so great shows. But at his age now, and even back when I saw him, who'd blame the guy if he had a bad night occassionally!

Luckily the show I saw was a magnificent display of what being a true BLUESMASTER is all about. Forever a showman, he was quipping to the crowd, mucking around with his guitar settings and teasing people with little riffs here and there, very charismatic on stage. The guitar playing was excellent, and occassionally he'd really get into the number and throw some real WTF moments for even studious geek players like me! Seriously, if I had seen Buddy Guy in that form, all those years ago when I was just started out, I probably would have stopped learning to play - his display of playing was that masterful. I was laughing my head at every little showpony trick he did with the guitar, it was real lesson in both playing a show and playing a guitar.

He introduced a Hendrix number by saying that there was "this guy who used to come and see me play back in the 60s...." and launched into a short medley starting with Purple Haze.... Buddy used two Tweed Bassmans (have no idea if they were reissues or genuine vintage) from what I could see from the audience and they were on a good 15 minutes prior to Buddy taking the stage, so they were ready and waiting for his assault on them. He did his walking around the auditorium thing which was funny when he went into the lobby and into the ladies toilets! I think he later quipped it was the only way he could get in there and not get thrown out... :laughing7:

Re: his career, I guess one can speculate on the 'what ifs' but in the end, Hendrix was the one who was young enough (Buddy was agood 10 years older than the generation of Hendrix and Clapton) to represent his demographic on a global scale and lucky/unlucky enough to cross over into mainstream music and win the crowds over with what was probably Buddy's routine anyway. I can imagine Buddy being one  NOT to do as he is told to do, by a record company exec, or putting up with the constant interruptions of idolising fans or the insane touring schedule that the likes of Hendrix and Clapton had at stages in their careers. That attitude might have held him back from gaining a wider audience, but heck he is the one still gigging into his 70s & not 6 foot under...

Ozzie, that is a nice post, and I like the part about still gigging

another hero of mine, Hubert Sumlin, a little older than Buddy, still gigging and all that after having a lung removed. If you remember he was Howling Wolfs guitarist.
I saw him a few years back at a blues festival were he got up with Kenny Wayne and did a few tunes, It seemed that Kenny was trying to show Hubert up and Hubert, true to his form, was being as polite as he could, until one solo, where he pulled all the stops and in a 45 second solo showed Kenny who was the boss on that stage. It was great.

I know this is a Buddy Guy thread, but it always turns into an SRV thread.  SRV would be the first to tell you how great these guys were.  Some may not even know these weren't originally SRV tunes.  This isn't even touching on his Hendrix re-doos.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqO6asn7j-s[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orc50cWI6OU[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boulE-ihcoY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbqtnNorgQA[/youtube]

lafromla1 said:
IMHO, and I am not trying to cause a debate, I think the greatest overall blues/rock guitarist that ever played is Buddy Guy. 

I know you're not looking for a debate.  I'm blues aware, but far from a blues purist.  I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is quite the learned bluesman/fan.  I couldn't even finish the sentence before he had a rebuttal, and not just one of, "Oh he sucks, because he's not my favorite."  In his opinion, Buddy Guy hasn't done squat since the late 60s.

Buddy Guy had alot of influence on SRV. i remember hearin the SRV quote"Without Buddy Guy, there would be no Stevie Ray Vaughan"

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
lafromla1 said:
IMHO, and I am not trying to cause a debate, I think the greatest overall blues/rock guitarist that ever played is Buddy Guy. 

I know you're not looking for a debate.  I'm blues aware, but far from a blues purist.  I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is quite the learned bluesman/fan.  I couldn't even finish the sentence before he had a rebuttal, and not just one of, "Oh he sucks, because he's not my favorite."  In his opinion, Buddy Guy hasn't done squat since the late 60s.
I will step in on that one

First, I AM A BLUES PURIST
and I break down the blues into a few categories, not just classic delta, or Texas
and your friend needs to get his head out of his ass.
Buddy Guy was one of the few in Chicago that has keep the blues going, He has toured and recorded and keep on keeping on when others went and licked their wounds, Buddy came on strong in the 60s, help open Europe to the blues in the 60s and 70s, keep on the road during the 80s and now is finally getting his DUE. Some of his best and most well known songs have been written and recorded since the 60s. His personal style is somewhere between Chicago Blues and Rock Blues. And he leads the list of others out there.

I give up that Blues do not sell anywhere near as pop, rock or metal, and that if you make gold you are doing super phenomenal, And Buddy has plugged on with some great recordings, His latest single, SKIN DEEP, will tear your heart out listing to the words.

Buddy Guy has proven his mettle, he has laid out a track record few can measure up too, and he is in his 70s and still touring.

Buddy is not a flash in the pan, he is an innovator and has been a road warrior for the blues.

Music evolves, If you do not evolve with it you are left behind, Buddy has kept in the lead.

It was his opinion, and he did offer more of a thought out rebuttal than that.  I can assure you his opinion is based on familiararity with Buddy's catalog of work, and isn't just a hap hazard comment.  I wouldn't go so far as to say he had his head in his ass.  He's met Buddy, is a fan, and has his rhythm guy's phone number.  While it may not be debateable to you, it was to him.

that could make me a Jazz Critic then, My next door neighbor is a well known jazz musician. I meet Jazz guys all the time, have jammed with the old Leno Band, Have met Brian Setzer and his band in a social atmosphere, can not name the memebrs of this guys band or that guys band I have met and had mini lessons from. But that means I am lucky, not a critic. Buddy has a good volume of work since the 60s,
Album Year Label Notes
Hoodoo Man Blues 1965 Delmark w/ Junior Wells band
Chicago/The Blues/Today! vol. 1 1966 Vanguard w/ Junior Wells band
It’s my Life, Baby! 1966 Vanguard w/ Junior Wells band
I Left My Blues in San Francisco 1967 Chess [7]
Berlin festival - Guitar Workshop 1967 MPS Long Play released in Argentina by Microphone Argentina S.A. (1974)
A Man and the Blues 1968 Vanguard [7]
Coming At You 1968 Vanguard [7]
Blues Today 1968 Vanguard [7]
This Is Buddy Guy (live) 1968 Vanguard [7]
Hot And Cool 1969 Vanguard
First Time I Met the Blues-Python 1969
Buddy and the Juniors 1970 MCA w/ Junior Mance & Junior Wells[7]
Buddy & Junior Mance & Junior Wells 1971 Harvest (UK) UK release of Buddy and the Juniors[7]
South Side Blues Jam 1970 Delmark w/ Junior Wells and Otis Spann
In The Beginning 1971 Red Lightnin’
Play The Blues 1972 Rhino w/ Junior Wells
Hold That Plane! 1972 Vanguard [7]
I Was Walking Through the Woods 1974 Chess rec. 1960–64
Got to Use Your Head 1979 Blues Ball [7]
The Dollar Done Fell 1980 JSP [7]
Stone Crazy! 1981 Alligator [7]
Alone & Acoustic 1981 Alligator w/ Junior Wells, released only in France
Drinkin' TNT 'n' Smokin' Dynamite (live) 1982 Blind Pig rec. 1974 Montreux Jazz Festival
DJ Play My Blues 1982 JSP [7]
Buddy Guy 1983 Chess
The Original Blues Brothers (live) 1983 Blue Moon
Ten Blue Fingers 1985 JSP Records [7]
Atlantic Blues: Chicago 1986 Atlantic
Chess Masters 1987 Charly
Live at the Checkerboard Lounge, Chicago-1979 1988 JSP Records
Breaking Out 1988 JSP Records [7]
I Ain’t Got No Money 1989 Flyright [7]
Alone & Acoustic 1991 Alligator reissue, rec. 1981 w/ Junior Wells
Damn Right, I've Got the Blues 1991 Silvertone/BMG [7]
Buddy's Baddest: The Best of Buddy Guy 1991 Silvertone
My Time After Awhile 1992 Vanguard
The Very Best of Buddy Guy 1992 Rhino/WEA
The Complete Chess Studio Recordings 1992 Chess 2 CD, 1960–67
Live at Montreaux 1992 Evidence w/ Junior Wells
Feels Like Rain 1993 Silvertone [7]
Slippin' In 1994 Silvertone [7]
Live: The Real Deal 1996 Silvertone
Buddy's Blues 1997 Chess "Chess Masters"
Buddy’s Blues 1978-1982: The Best of the JSP Recordings 1998 JSP Records
As Good As It Gets 1998 Vanguard
Heavy Love 1998 Silvertone [7]
Last Time Around - Live at Legends 1998 Jive w/Junior Wells
This Is Buddy Guy 1998 VMD
Blues Master 1998 Vanguard
Buddy’s Baddest: The Best of Buddy Guy 1999 Silvertone
The Complete Vanguard Recordings 2000 Vanguard
Every Day I Have the Blues 2000 Purple Pyramid w/ Junior Wells
20th Century Masters: The Millennium: The Best of Buddy Guy 2001 MCA
Sweet Tea 2001 Jive [7]
Double Dynamite 2001 AIM Recording Co. Import
Blues Singer 2003 Silvertone [7]
Chicago Blues Festival 1964 (live) 2003 Stardust
Jammin’ Blues Electric & Acoustic 2003 Sony a compilation of tracks from Live: The Real Deal and Last Time Around - Live At Legends
Live At the Mystery Club 2003 Quicksilver the same recording as Every Day I Have The Blues
A Night of the Blues 2005 w/ Junior Wells - Master Classics - the same recording as Every Day I Have The Blues
Bring 'Em In 2005 Jive
Can't Quit The Blues:Box Set 2006 Silvertone/Legacy Recordings
Live: The Real Deal 2006 Sony with G. E. Smith & the Saturday Night Live Band
Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino 2007 Vanguard with Joss Stone and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, performing "Every Night About This Time".
Skin Deep 2008 Jive [7]
The Definitive Buddy Guy 2009 Shout! Factory his first single-disc career-spanning CD
Living Proof

I consider that prolific
Bill Wyman, Slash and Billy Gibbons are all openly fans.

And you do not even have to know what the blues is to have perked up and listened to songs like Mustang Sally and Damn Right I got the Blues. He has been a huge influence on many a guitarist without even knowing it.

I would say it again, he needs to get his head out. Buddy Guy influenced Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, and still is putting out Recordings.

Claims of blues purism aside, the man performs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSv1h50S5Y8

He is letting Jaz play a lot this tour
We saw him in July and I was blown away as always. this video is from somewhere else doing Hoochie choochie man where him and Jaz duke it out, when we saw him they dida lot more call and return, It is always great, but the night we saw him BB King was up next so the set ws about 1 hour, I have seen that man play till he covered in sweat before. He holds the audience in the palm of his hand and always puts on a great show.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_h2GvCIqo&feature=channel[/youtube]

My friend is a Buddy Guy fan, BTW.  Knowing my friend, who didn't comment much more than the "not done squat" comment, I would second guess his meaning of "squat" as not referring to his body of work for the sake of what is an interesting conversation.  His opinion is akin to that mirrored by some forum members of Jeff Beck compared to his other Yardbird alums.  When one goes to see Clapton and if Page does anything anytime soon, the ones there are usually fans of their older body of work.  Have you seen a Stones show lately or The Who's Superbowl halftime show?  Clapton and Page are greatest hits machines when they're on stage.  All that stuff is great and some of the best music ever made, but that was 40 years ago.  Beck seems to be an old fart that enjoys learning and being challenged like a teenager that just picked up a guitar.  The Beck music now is not what he was doing 20 or 40 years ago.  Is that the same of Clapton, Page, or the squat comment directed at Guy?  Slash, Gibbons, and Bill Wyman are all fans (and probably friends with Guy), but of what era of Buddy Guy?

Back