Brown Dye G5

I'm super jealous of the MEC electronics. I've always wanted a Warmoth with a set in it, but I can't bring myself to drop $700 on pickups and electronics. Unless you know of a cheaper place to get them than shop.warwick.de?

Oh.
My.
God. :eek:

Great looking bass you have built there, how do the MEC electronics sound? :icon_thumright:

Get this, I got the MEC pickups (yes both of them) for $90 shipped on ebay.  A guy had bought a brand new Warwick and immediately replaced the pickups with EMG's, so these went up for sale on a no reserve auction.  They are really great pickups, big and round sounding and very growly, like hitting the lower keys on a piano hard.

shanejw said:
Get this, I got the MEC pickups (yes both of them) for $90 shipped on ebay.  A guy had bought a brand new Warwick and immediately replaced the pickups with EMG's, so these went up for sale on a no reserve auction.  They are really great pickups, big and round sounding and very growly, like hitting the lower keys on a piano hard.

I know they sound amazing, I've played them. Also, I hate you and I shall now go scream in a closet somewhere that I don't check for pickups on eBay regularly.

Why anyone threw those out, I'll never know.

I know, and for EMG's.  I've never played a bass with EMG's, but I've had a guitar with them in it and they just sound cold to me.  Yep, $90 for the pair. :laughing7:

Nice looking bass!

shanejw said:
They are really great pickups, big and round sounding and very growly, like hitting the lower keys on a piano hard.

Yep, that is just about how the MEC pickups should sound.  My old Warwick Corvette had a similar tone, but it was a bit more punchy and edgy.

shanejw said:
I know, and for EMG's.  I've never played a bass with EMG's, but I've had a guitar with them in it and they just sound cold to me.  Yep, $90 for the pair. :laughing7:

I once had a fretless bass with EMG pickups, and the tone was too "brittle".  It had a lot of high end but it sounded like it was just too much, and there was not a lot of the midrange warmth that I was hoping to hear.  I've sold that bass.

According to shop.warwick.de and Google, you scored $515.025 in pickups for $90.

I bet they sound terrible, being so cheap. I'll give you $100 for them.

....I've been on eBay nine times today searching for MECs. Nada. Maybe that guy will buy a backup bass and throw the pickups out again?

My only complaint about the MEC pickups is that they are a little big.  I had a lot of trouble getting them in the cavities Warmoth routed out.  I had to cut the corners of the pickups to "squeeze" them in.  Now I don't think I'll ever get them out without ruining them.  I'm glad I like them. :icon_smile:

What size of rout did you have Warmoth do?  Are those MEC's roughly the size of Musicman pickups?

Beautiful bass.  Everything about it screams class.  Nicely done!

Congrats on a gorgeous build - that color/finish is smashing, and the neck choice is outstanding (but you knew that) 
drink4.gif

shanejw said:
My only complaint about the MEC pickups is that they are a little big.  I had a lot of trouble getting them in the cavities Warmoth routed out.  I had to cut the corners of the pickups to "squeeze" them in.  Now I don't think I'll ever get them out without ruining them.  I'm glad I like them. :icon_smile:

That's terrible. You can't take them out without ruining them? Okay, I'll take the whole bass, to save you the trouble and heartache of cracking something you paid so little for.

I'm just that nice a guy.  :party07:

Back