Bridge Question

Kinksi

Hey,

So, I have a strat with a wilkinson vs100. I would like to get rid of this trem and put in a traditional fender style trem. The wilkinson is a 2 point....do you guys know of another 2 point trem that will work with no modifications? I would like a vintage functioning one.....no divebomb stuff....

Help please!

Fender's American Standard Strat and Strat Plus trems are able to fit without modifications.

I'd like to get a Callaham trem. It seems they only make them for a 6 pivot. But, they offer a "upgrade" set that you can use with a fender standard or deluxe bridge PLATE. Anyone know where I can get a Standard or Deluxe BRIDGE PLATE without buying all of the other parts?

AH! I have been looking all over the internet for that part! Thanks!!!

Next question....

Does anyone have any experience with the Callaham "American Standard Upgrade"

Here is the link....

http://www.callahamguitars.com/up_amstd.htm

None personally, but they do tend to get rave reviews.  Especially from people who upgrade their existing Fender Am trem.

Anyone have any experience with the ALL CALLAHAM (6-point) Trem? I'm conidering drilling new holes to fit this one...Does this bridge function properly if set to FLOAT?

The Callaham site say this:

I recommend a minimum of 4 springs for the bridges. They should be set so that if you are doing double stop bends, the guitar remains at pitch. This means the top plate will have a slight pressure against the body. Sorry no pull ups with a vintage bridge, unless you can live with pitch problems.

Does this mean I should not set it to float? Has anyone tried to float this bridge?

Would I be better off using the American Standard plate (2 pivot) and then use the CALLAHAM Upgrade for that plate?

There are way too many options in this world!  :help:  :icon_scratch:

I have the Callaham bridge. Works great in a float. Using 3 springs and .9 strings.
Springs are attached toe the outer sides and center on the block. Claw attachment is the center 3 (so the 2 outside springs are angled in.
Bridge is floated a credit card thickness off the body. Claw is adjusted so that there is some gap between coils of all springs. Measured with feeler guage to make sure the distance between spring coils on the outer springs is the same (this sets the correct claw angle).

I've got both the Vintage 6 hole Callaham (lefty), and the Am Std Strat upgrade (lefty as well).

The Am Std Strat upgrade has the same heavy-arse cold-rolled steel trem block... the saddles are, of course
the same material as the V6hole, but smaller in width due to the AmStd Strat trem spacing. 

As well, they are the stamped variety just like the V6hole (a major reason I went with the
upgrade - hate the pingy treble tone of the Fender Am Std Strat pot-metal block saddles).

And of course, I'm using the original Fender Am Std 2-point trem plate with the Callaham stuff...
everything fits easily.

My Am Std beater Strat is still waiting for parts, so I can't say how it is... yet.

But my Warmoth strat with the vintage Callaham trem punches other strats in the face, knees them in
the groin and then steals their lunch money; leaving them cryin' for momma.   :icon_biggrin:

Tuning stability is great (not perfect of course) comparatively as well.

As far as springs, that's personal preference; how much tension do you want when
bending strings? etc - I use 3 springs on my V6hole.

For the floating part, I have mine lifting off the body by a few 16ths of an inch... so I have a wee bit of pull up for squealies
when they decide to make themselves known.

Addendum:  BTW, the "virtual pop in arm" is schweet.  There's a bushing in the block that holds the arm in place... and a few threads
on the tip of the arm to keep it in there.  Totally touch-sensitive with the arm and zero slop - none.

Thanks!

I ordered the Callaham 6 point a few days ago. My guitar tech is gonna fill the 2 holes and drill for 6-point so I can use the entire Callaham set up. I have had 2 points in the past and the blade always starts to wear down, which causes all sorts of problems. I'm gonna stick with 6 from here on out, I think.

Thanks again!

Kinksi said:
Thanks!

I ordered the Callaham 6 point a few days ago. My guitar tech is gonna fill the 2 holes and drill for 6-point so I can use the entire Callaham set up. I have had 2 points in the past and the blade always starts to wear down, which causes all sorts of problems. I'm gonna stick with 6 from here on out, I think.

Thanks again!

:icon_thumright:

6 hole FTW!  (for the win)

6 hole for tone... stamped saddles are your friend.  :icon_biggrin:

Back