Bohemian Groove

Edison Chase

@Steve_Karl I downloaded Ozone 11 EQ and applied your helpful suggestions on this new track.

Trying to make the adjustment from recording "guitar clips" to actual tracks with multiple instruments - definitely a learning curve.

I'm able to make out the bass track from the double-tracked rhythm guitars now. Much less "boomy" and "muddy".

A little baffled as to where to go with the EQ on the lead guitar sections in this one.

Last edited:
@Steve_Karl I downloaded Ozone 11 EQ and applied your helpful suggestions on this new track.

Trying to make the adjustment from recording "guitar clips" to actual tracks with multiple instruments - definitely a learning curve.

I'm able to make out the bass track from the double-tracked rhythm guitars now. Much less "boomy" and "muddy".

A little baffled as to where to go with the EQ on the lead guitar sections in this one.

Yea. Getting better.
Now on this one, the first thing I notice to make it a little cleaner would be slightly less reverb on the drums.
But yea, that's not a big deal. You're getting batter at this.

Yea. Getting better.
Now on this one, the first thing I notice to make it a little cleaner would be slightly less reverb on the drums.
But yea, that's not a big deal. You're getting batter at this.
I probably recorded 10 or 12 clips since your advice.. Tried everything you said, as best as I could understand it.

Learned a lot, but still baffled by some things that happen "in the mix". It's easy to make one guitar track sound great.. once you start adding the other instruments it gets challenging.

It's pretty much like you have to ruin that great guitar tone/sound to have it sit right in the mix.

Here's my latest attempt..

Last edited:
OK
On this one, I can't tell if there's a bass guitar in there at all.
Snare is too loud. It's by far the loudest thing in this track.
I'd trade the rhythm guitar for a bass track that could be heard.

Other thoughts:

Your thought of
"It's pretty much like you have to ruin that great guitar tone/sound to have it sit right in the mix."
(In my opinion) is telling you that your *idea* of what is "a great guitar sound" . . . is very subjective.
Plenty of pro recordings aren't having that problem.

Change everything else to accommodate the guitar sound as much as possible.

Hey Edison
Well the mix sound pretty good to me both in the "Bohemian Groove" and the later "Catalyst" recording. I think the only issue is the Drum level and the Drum EQ during the guitar solo bits.
You know when you're playing rhythm guitar there are several notes coming out from the guitar but when you're soloing it's just one note at a time and typically a note of a higher pitch than the rhythm part. So if you don't change anything the drum track is going to overpower the single note guitar.

You might also want to simply the drum part during the lead guitar sections.

But really I think it's pretty good

Hey Edison
Well the mix sound pretty good to me both in the "Bohemian Groove" and the later "Catalyst" recording. I think the only issue is the Drum level and the Drum EQ during the guitar solo bits.
You know when you're playing rhythm guitar there are several notes coming out from the guitar but when you're soloing it's just one note at a time and typically a note of a higher pitch than the rhythm part. So if you don't change anything the drum track is going to overpower the single note guitar.

You might also want to simply the drum part during the lead guitar sections.

But really I think it's pretty good
Steve Karl's comments have been the single biggest help to me in my learning curve with mixing these tracks of instrumental guitar music.

I had to really think about what he was saying, because it was not apparent to me at first..

But after simply trying everything he said to do, I started to get it.

Back