Boatneck Shave

mbroady

Hello All
New to the Forum. On an impulse I picked up a Boatneck Maple Strat neck. Argggg way to much girth for me. I have 59 round back and love it. But now would like to go a bit thinner……….not as much as the standard C

What would be the most I could take off of the boat neck. Are the Truss road depths different in each neck profile

I would not mind trading it for a thinner neck, but first, looking into all options

mbroady

Last edited:
Thinning a neck is highly likely to void your warranty.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is true. Clearly, you need to send me the neck you find unsatisfactory and buy a new 59 Roundback specimen.

Thanks, hope this helps, have a nice day, etc., etc., ad nauseam ad infinitum.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is true. Clearly, you need to send me the neck you find unsatisfactory and buy a new 59 Roundback specimen.

Thanks, hope this helps, have a nice day, etc., etc., ad nauseam ad infinitum.
Thinning a neck is highly likely to void your warranty.
Not concerned about the warranty. And, the neck has a tung oil finish, so the warranty is not valid should any issues arise. that leads me back to the question of where is the truss rod location in a Fatback compared to their standard C, round back or other non 1 inch necks. I’ll give them a call to find out

Last edited:
Otherwise, they’d have to have different routings for the rod as well as side adjust or peg head adjust.
Gave Wormoth a call and according to the person I spoke to the truss rod trench is indeed different on the fatter necks. Officially, it’s recommended not to shave down the neck. unofficially, 2 mm (.078 inches) should be OK. They weren’t willing to give me the exact depth of the truss rod. They consider it proprietary information. That’s understandable.

Every "V" shaped neck I have ever played has made me want to vomit. I just don't get it.
Not a fan of the V profile either. But I know folks who love them

I wish Warmoth had a neck that was between the 59 round back (.86 to .96)and the standard c (.80 to .85). Ultimately I would Love a .83 to .88. Neck with a 9.5 radius and 1 11/16th nut

Count me in on the boatneck love.

When I built my tele back in '99, I waffles between the boatneck and fatback. I chose the latter of the two. I loved it.

Next I built a strat with the 59, and loved that one too.

It took almost 25 years to finally get around the trying the boatneck. Now that I have one, I can say I love it just as much as the other 2.

If I chose the boatneck first, I might never have tried the other two. For me, it allows my hand to be supported as much as the fatback, without the extra meat to get in the way

I love the fat necks. Never thought I would but for some reason I started to feel like my standard thin and strat necks were a little too thin. Went for a custom boat neck and loved it. Got a plain roasted one after that and it's my favorite. Recently did a strat build and decided to go for the fat back and I love it too but think I prefer the boat. I think I might like a 59 for a shreddy guitar 🤣

Back