blue transparent finish on an ash body (suggested finishing schedule)

Ive built a couple guitars from component parts and want to make the jump to doing my own wood work and finishing. I want to do a blue transparent finish on a swamp ash body. I own stew mac's finishing step by step but it gives more information on other finishes and not so much this style of finish specifically using blue stains. I understand I would be using a toner instead of a just a dye. I plan on purchasing a production sprayer and using water based products from Stewart mac because i already own the their book so I know their products will work with the information they have in the book.  What I am looking for is an experienced finisher to describe a schedule that would be ideal for this kind of finish. 

Here you go with pictures to show the way.  It does not matter what materials you use just follow this schedule and the manufactures directions on their products and you should be ok.  I suggest you do a test board first to get what you are after.  Remember this board would look much richer if it were finished with clear.  I am only showing you the way to get it ready before final clear coats.  Follow the directions in the book for final clear coats, wet sand /rubout, and it should be beautiful.

1. Prep wood.
IMG_3582.jpg

2. Dye with your dye of choice.
IMG_3584.jpg

3. Two wash coats of sealer and level sand.
IMG_3587.jpg

4. I mixed oil base filler with blue color in oil, you can use what ever you want.  Some would use black.
IMG_3588.jpg

Here it is mixed. Use the filler according to the directions on the can.
IMG_3589.jpg

5. Here it is filled and ready to finish off.
IMG_3590.jpg

Notice the color variation during the process.  The colors in these shots are really accurate to what the test board looks like.  I hope that helps and good luck.  You will be really proud of your guitar when your are finished and we will all want to see pictures.

Here's another thread of a similar project following Tonar's instruction with a number of pics:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4162.0

thanks Tonar thats a super big help. the book gave very similar instructions but interjected with alot of optional steps and additional information. Some times its nice to just have a very simple stripped down outline.    I will put pics up when I am done with the project. I am making it a semester long project in my independent study in sculpture. So far I am doing a lot of prototyping my design in cheaper materials like laminated plywood and pine. I figure that I can get a lot of the kinks of the building process out of the way before i start working on hard woods.

Jack,

Do you have a picture of the bass after it was finish?  I'm thinking about doing a similar finish for a swamp ash soloist I just got from Warmoth.

Thanks,

MUguy

MUguy1998 said:
Jack,

Do you have a picture of the bass after it was finish?  I'm thinking about doing a similar finish for a swamp ash soloist I just got from Warmoth.

Thanks,

MUguy

Unfortunately not...  I think I may have started shooting the gloss lacquer top coats before the oil-based filler was completely dry, because when I started trying to do the final wet-sanding/buffing of the finish, the lacquer lifted up in several places. I tried to "fix" it but it didn't work. I'm having to wait for warmer weather at my location so I can strip all the lacquer and completely redo the gloss over. When it's done, it should look just like the picture below, but a bit more glossy/mirror-like with the lacquer wet-sanded/buffed...

Jbassshiny.jpg

Jack,

Thanks for the response.  I see you're in Kansas.  Is that the Kansas City area?  I'm originally from KC, MO, but in Northern Virginia right now.  My brother is still out that way and used to play drums for a band that played a lot in KC and Lawrence (Exit 159).  When you get that bass done, let me know.  I'd love to see the final version. 

Unfortunately, it will be awhile before I get mine started.  I've got the body, but I'm still collecting the other parts (neck, Floyd Rose, pickups, etc.).

Have a great weekend!

MUguy1998 said:
Jack,

Thanks for the response.  I see you're in Kansas.  Is that the Kansas City area?  I'm originally from KC, MO, but in Northern Virginia right now. 

Where in Virginia? i'm from montgomery county MD.

and that bass is gonna look sweeeet

Back