Blender wiring problem

tfarny

Master Member
So, I'm putting Dimarzio area series pickups in my used-to-be-cheapo sunburst strat that I got back last month. I came up with a wiring plan to give me stock looks plus a bunch of new sounds - the 2nd tone control does double duty as a blender (neck into bridge and vice versa) and also push-pulls the middle into series with the neck and / or bridge. So, in theory I get these additional sounds:

neck / bridge (parallel)
all (parallel)
Neck / middle (series)
all (series)
middle / bridge (series)

I used a 500k push-pull pot for the trickery, thinking that the 500k resistance would be enough to basically 'isolate' the neck and middle from each other when that pot is turned down. That isn't the case at all - clearly there is plenty of 'bleeding through' going on, and the neck for instance sounds very different from the middle pup even though they are the same model (area 58, which btw sounds fantastic in the middle so far). Everything else works perfectly.
I need to stop the 'bleeding', and I don't want to keep on removing the neck and messing around with the internals (dang top routed strats!) Is there a way to do this while keeping the current control layout? The only solution I can think of is to move the push-pot onto the tone control and install a 'noload' or 'blender' pot in the last position, but this seems like a clunky contol setup and a pain to rewire. Any other suggestions are mucho appreciado, amigos.

On second thought, nevermind - after playing around with it quite a bit yesterday and getting the pickup heights just right, I think I was overstating the effect. I had the bridge pup backed way off the strings for one thing. These stacked coils really allow you all kind of latitude with placement and don't pull the strings at all. Now to see if I actually use those extra positions or not.

Back