Blacktop Jaguar

thx712517

I wound up buying a Fender Jaguar recently, the Blacktop model with P90s. It's a pretty cool guitar, but as always, I want it to be better. Better in this case means lighter. From what I can see online the Fender body is thicker than the Warmoth version by about 1/4". Would I see a significant difference in weight from the thinner Warmoth body, specifying their lightest piece of alder? I've already been told that chambering isn't an option.

The other thing that's turning out to be a bit of a pain is the Blacktop's bridge setup. I love it, which is why I bought it, but it doesn't look like Warmoth offers an adjustomatic/stop piece bridge option, at least on their body builder page. I'd be fine with doing an LP Junior style bridge.

Thoughts?

I bought a Squier Tele Custom II with P90s last week and it weighed 6lbs 7oz.  I never had a P90s equipped guitar before, it's a whole new world.

Chambering a body typically results in about a 25% weight reduction of the body itself, which might mean 10%-15% overall. Better than nothing, but also nothing to write home about. Anything less than that is a waste of time, and it's not something that can be done after the fact.

As for bridges on the Jaguar/Jazzmaster design, the best drop-in replacement is the Mastery part.

jazz-s-07.jpg

Unfortunately, they're scary expensive and they do nothing to improve the pitiful design of the tailpiece. Your best bet is to lock the tailpiece down so it can't move.

Well, shut my mouth. I just looked that model up and you're right. They're nowhere near as pitiful as the originals.

Now I don't know what the OP was crying about.

Cagey said:
Well, shut my mouth. I just looked that model up and you're right. They're nowhere near as pitiful as the originals.

Crapload uglier though. :blob7:

I'll say, though. I saw on craigslist(awhile back) a sweet Jag modded with a TOM, two humbuckers, and this Jazz bass cover over the tailpeice... That thing was sexy. Wanted, but $800 is not easy to come by on a whim.

Guess I didn't make myself clear. I like the TOM bridge on the guitar right now. That's one of the reasons I bought it. However, it seems to make things difficult in finding a "ready to go" body for it.

Warmoth's body builder does not have an option on the Jaguar body for a TOM/stop bridge setup. I can have it with the trem, or blank.

My goal is to reduce the weight of the guitar. I can't get a chambered Jaguar body, apparently. So I wanted to know if the thinner Warmoth body made of two pieces of alder would be lighter than the Fender body made of more than two pieces of alder. Enough to make a difference, that is.

My alternative idea was to go with a Jazzmaster body, since it can be chambered, it can have the TOM/stop routing, and I'm not THAT picky about it being a "perfect" Jaguar. However, what I haven't found out yet is whether or not a Jazzmaster body with a TOM/stop bridge rout would have the bridge in the right place for my 24" scale Jaguar neck.

thx712517 said:
Warmoth's body builder does not have an option on the Jaguar body for a TOM/stop bridge setup.
I would send a email to Warmoth asking if it could be done on a custom build order.

Sometimes, Not all there options are right in front of us.
They do different routing for bridges etc that you can sent them the actual bridge.

They do have a page here where they describe in detail how they drill/route "standard" bridge mountings, plus a list of bridges that aren't "standard" (for them) that they'll drill/route for an extra charge.

Just to answer this part of the question, a JM body with a tom/stop in the standard position wouldn't work with a 24" scale Jag neck.

Back