Blackbird Telecaster: Wiring...

BigSteve22

Today was "Wiring Day"! Took longer than I had anticipated, by no longer than necessary. I decided to to go with the diagrams and suggestions graciously supplied by -VB-. Four way switch, (generously supplied by Mr. May), wired up as: 1-Bridge, 2-Bridge/Neck Series, 3-Bridge/Neck Parallel, 4-Neck. Gibson style tone wiring, connecting the Tone input to the Volume output. And because I'm using  NF pups, (a Bill Lawrence L-298TL in the bridge and a L-202TN in the Neck), I went with 500K Emerson Custom Taper pots and a .022uf Orange Drop cap to keep thing on the bright side. (I can always change things  up if necessary.)

I also decided to try a "Pure Tone" output jack. Upon inserting a cable plug, I noticed that the tip contacts don't give much tension to hold the connection solidly. So, I bent the tip contacts just a bit to give them a little more bite.
HmOu0Tv.jpg

Then I ran a twisted pair from the jack to the control cavity.
Iv9zsxC.jpg

Everything else is pretty standard. 22AWG wire, rosin core solder, and everything laced up to keep it neat.
gDMk9To.jpg

HILRUqd.jpg

My only real problem came when I plugged in to test the wiring: No output in positions 3 & 4, WTF? So, I retraced all my wires, and realized that I had forgotten a jumper connection. Quick fix, retest, all is good.

Next up: Final assembly and set up!  :headbang:

Very cool.  I'd really appreciate it if you could get some sound clips of the guitar in the various pickup selector positions. 

Mayfly said:
Very cool.  I'd really appreciate it if you could get some sound clips of the guitar in the various pickup selector positions.
I'll certainly try. All I have is a Fender "Slide" USB interface, and a copy of Reaper DAW which I really don't know much about. I've tried to get decent samples before, but was never satisfied with the results. I will try again.  :tard:

Nice job! Lace things up to keep them out of harm's way, ground lugs to save the pot's lives, heatshrink to protect connections - what's not to love?

Cagey said:
Nice job! Lace things up to keep them out of harm's way, ground lugs to save the pot's lives, heatshrink to protect connections - what's not to love?
Actually, I did find something to not love: The Pure Tone jack! As supplied, It doesn't give much purchase on the plug tip. Seemed very easy to pull loose. My re-bending of the tip contacts, as pictured above, brought the contact point back just far enough that it allowed the plug to move back to a point where the ground contacts now sat at the insulator between the tip and sleeve, shorting them out. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until AFTER everything was assembled.

So, I tried re-bending the ground contacts, but doing so placed them at an angle that caused the tip to catch on them while extracting the plug. Glad I tried this last bit while the jack was not in the guitar, because it stuck so firmly I don't know how I would have gotten it out!

In the end, I swapped out the Pure Tone for a Switchcraft #11. Solid contact, holds firmly, no gimmicks. Guess there's reason they've been around so long!  :icon_thumright:

I concur regarding the pure tone jack - I had the same experience with the 'Cheap Thrills Tele'.  I was wondering if your first fix actually made it useful!  But... I guess not.

Switchcraft and neutrik are my friends.

BigSteve22 said:
Solid contact, holds firmly, no gimmicks. Guess there's reason [Switchcraft has] been around so long!  :icon_thumright:

Indeed. They've been doing the 1/4" jack/plug thing since dinosaurs were in diapers.

For anyone who's interested, here's the wiring diagram I used.
if4CZVj.jpg

It's based on the TDPRI.com drawing supplied to me by -VB-, combined with the 4-Way switching modification, (to produce the required options), and includes the "Gibson" style tone connection. Just note that all ground connections should be made to solder lugs, not to the pots.

Man, I had a very different experience with the Pure Tone jack. I've only used one, but it engaged very solidly without any modification, no play at all. QC issues and inconsistency at the factory perhaps? I've got two more sitting aside for a couple of projects, we'll see which kind they are....

Fine looking wiring harness there. It's easy for things to go awry with all the jumpers in this wiring, glad your trouble was easily diagnosed and remedied! I'm with Mayfly, I'd love to hear how she sounds.

-VB- said:
Man, I had a very different experience with the Pure Tone jack. I've only used one, but it engaged very solidly without any modification, no play at all. QC issues and inconsistency at the factory perhaps? I've got two more sitting aside for a couple of projects, we'll see which kind they are....
Yeah, I was surprised that the Pure Tone didn't do such a great job of holding on to the plug tip. It took very little effort to pull it out. Glad I had an extra Switchcraft sitting around. Now, I too have a couple more Pure Tones sitting in my parts cabinet that will, in all likelihood, go unused. Probably give 'em away to some unsuspecting sap!  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

-VB- said:
Fine looking wiring harness there. It's easy for things to go awry with all the jumpers in this wiring, glad your trouble was easily diagnosed and remedied! I'm with Mayfly, I'd love to hear how she sounds.
The connection I forgot was the jumper between the Neck Pickup Hot and the Output. I always print out a wiring diagram and mark off the connections with a highlighter as they're made.  I also first wire up all the switch and pot connections that don't need a connection to a wire that's fixed to the body. Because that jumper is between two fixed connections, I planned to do it last. Unfortunately I forgot to put the jumper in before I connected the wires. As I traced things back to find my error, I realized that the jumper was not highlighted. Oh well, that's what the trace is for, and not the first time it saved my a$$!  :icon_jokercolor:

Just a quick update: Got this from Pure Tone today.......

Hi,

Please find attached, our AP International Invoice # 89740, for your order that shipped via USPS - Tracking # 94001102008648154xxxxx.

Thank you.

Have a great day!

# Date Customer Remarks Due Date
89740 01/10/18 STEVE SCHURMANN ***** WARRANTY! SHIP NEWEST JACKS ****** Based On Sales Orders 67813. Based On Deliveries 28009. 01/11/18

According to the invoice, they sent me 1 piece of their new stylle jack. I ordered 3 originally, but at least they kept their word and are shipping something!

Back