Black rattle can over nitro CAR

monchavo

I have a red SSS body finished in CAR which has been sitting in the closet for five years. It's finished by Mark Jenny (MJT) who we've discussed occasionally. I very much like relic finishes. I am toying with the idea of throwing a very rough and ugly matt rattle can black finish over the CAR then doing some additional relicing to it, a sort of nod to the Joe Strummer approach. Am I going mad? Is this a grotesque idea? I seek the wisdom of my Warmoth veterans.
Cheers

You have to make sure whatever rattle can you use is compatible with the nitro, otherwise, you may end up with adhesion issues and the black will crack, peel, or flake (and not in a natural or attractive way). The basic rule of thumb is nitro over poly is just fine, poly over nitro is not, but it isn’t cut and dry. One trick might be to use an intermediate sealer coat of shellac (which sticks well to many finishes and bare wood).

If it’ll getcha da finish duh project den go fer it.  If 6 uh one un half a dozen uh duh udder den fugetaboutit and stick wid duh pro’ finish. 

Lets see some pics of this CAR body...

And no it is not likely to be a course of action I would do.

Back