Black Korina with what neck

Assumer

Senior member
Messages
206
Hey guys
I am having a black korina LPS body painted.  My question, what would be a good wood combo for the neck/fingerboard?  I like warmth but do not want things too warm.  Would like some bite. 
 

line6man

Senior member
Messages
6,443
FWIW, most of the BK bodies i have seen around here were paired with Wenge necks.
 

m4rk0

Senior member
Messages
5,383
I own, have owned or played korina with rosewood, bloodwood, Goncalo Alves and canary.
They are all great choices. I don't think you can go wrong with Wenge either.
 
G

guitlouie

Guest
My BK thinline has a Goncalo/Pau Ferro neck and I'm loving every minute of it.  The guitar is made for midrangey growl.  Not muddy.  Ok.  I actually love this guitar more than any other I have ever played.  These guys will tell you, I talk about it all the time.  :icon_thumright:
 

Soylent

Senior member
Messages
1,416
my sexy strat is chambered black korina, with a flame maple top, with a ziricote on canary neck, and it sings!  :headbang:
 

elgravos

Senior member
Messages
331
my bk jazzmaster has a canary neck.  It's  a no brainer for what you are looking for.  Take your pick for the fretboard.  I'd probably go with ebony.
 

Assumer

Senior member
Messages
206
elgravos said:
my bk jazzmaster has a canary neck.  It's  a no brainer for what you are looking for.  Take your pick for the fretboard.  I'd probably go with ebony.

Canary pretty stable?  How is the feel?
 

Soylent

Senior member
Messages
1,416
It is great, its smooth, very good lines, and plays very fast. No finish required, as the W site says. Beautiful necks.
 

m4rk0

Senior member
Messages
5,383
the nicest surprise was seeing luke's (*correction) strat neck first in person...
it looked a bit dull on the showcase, but close up there are so many colors and streaks... Niiice!
 

elgravos

Senior member
Messages
331
Looks exotic in a very understated way.  Like a pale mahogany with redish streaks.  Actually had a satin finish put on mine.  One new england winter later it's moved a lot less than my maple warmoth neck over the same time period (it took a lot of adjusting during its first full cold spell).  I haven't touched the truss rod once on the canary.  Couldn't be more pleased.
 

blimpo

Senior member
Messages
169
elgravos said:
Looks exotic in a very understated way.  Like a pale mahogany with redish streaks.   Actually had a satin finish put on mine.  One new england winter later it's moved a lot less than my maple warmoth neck over the same time period (it took a lot of adjusting during its first full cold spell).  I haven't touched the truss rod once on the canary.  Couldn't be more pleased.


Same here. 
 

Mountain Man

New member
Messages
5
I'm thinking of doing mine with a BK neck and ebony fb - any reason why this isn't recommended?  I didn't see it as a suggestion.
 

Orpheo

Senior member
Messages
2,771
Mountain Man said:
I'm thinking of doing mine with a BK neck and ebony fb - any reason why this isn't recommended?  I didn't see it as a suggestion.

why its not recommended? you need a finish for that wood! wenge sounds 'like' korina, but with more power, more clarity, more howl, more punch, definition, not to mention the FEEL!!! canary sounds like maple, and has a closer grain, but that sounds and feels awesome too. just do yourself a favor, and take a neck that needs no finish. everytime you play it, you will be amazed.
 

Mountain Man

New member
Messages
5
why its not recommended? you need a finish for that wood! wenge sounds 'like' korina, but with more power, more clarity, more howl, more punch, definition, not to mention the FEEL!!! canary sounds like maple, and has a closer grain, but that sounds and feels awesome too. just do yourself a favor, and take a neck that needs no finish. everytime you play it, you will be amazed.
That's a good point, but I'm really leaning towards the aesthetic of having the body and the neck of the same wood.  I'm very early in the process though and trying to keep my options open.  Are there other reasons not to do it besides tone and feel preferences?
 

Phrygian

Senior member
Messages
459
Assumer said:
elgravos said:
my bk jazzmaster has a canary neck.  It's  a no brainer for what you are looking for.  Take your pick for the fretboard.  I'd probably go with ebony.

Canary pretty stable?  How is the feel?

Raw, I think it feels better than Indian Rosewood (my Canary grain feels coarser, which I think feels better).  No stability problems so far, and it's more stable than some maple necked guitars I've owned.
 

Kublai

Senior member
Messages
494
IMO, the raw woods feel so sweet, that even IF they were ugly, (they aren't) I would rather have a butt-ugly raw neck than the prettiest finished neck.
 

DocNrock

Senior member
Messages
4,295
Wenge is a great neck wood to combine with a black korina body.  I have two such builds.  The "howling midrange" comment is not hype, both really have that sound. 
 
Top