Black Korina finish

sandman31774

to finish or not to finish is the question? is it acceptable to not finish a black korina body? i suppose tung oil would make it look smoother and wetter....i'm thinking of piecing together a warmoth guitar and just need pointers...take it easy on my please..i'm new here  :)
thanks,
sandman

It's pretty common not to finish necks, as there are some woods like bubinga, padouk, canary etc. that are quoted as not needing a finish. But bodies are susceptible to a lot of different sorts of damage and I would not recommend a totally unprotected body even if it was made from one of these naturally waxy "no-finish required" woods. Black Korina is NOT one of those woods anyway. It is quite open grained and would deteriorate quite quickly without some form of protection. It is a very easy wood to get a nice finish on however. It responds well to various wipe on finishes. I have found Danish oil very effective and user friendly. The 'Telemaster' guitar in my avatar was finished by just wiping on danish oil with a cloth and rubbing it into the wood with 400grit wet/dry sandpaper a few times. After a few coats of that I waxed it with good quality carnauba wax and it looks terrific.

willyk said:
It's pretty common not to finish necks, as there are some woods like bubinga, padouk, canary etc. that are quoted as not needing a finish. But bodies are susceptible to a lot of different sorts of damage and I would not recommend a totally unprotected body even if it was made from one of these naturally waxy "no-finish required" woods. Black Korina is NOT one of those woods anyway. It is quite open grained and would deteriorate quite quickly without some form of protection. It is a very easy wood to get a nice finish on however. It responds well to various wipe on finishes. I have found Danish oil very effective and user friendly. The 'Telemaster' guitar in my avatar was finished by just wiping on danish oil with a cloth and rubbing it into the wood with 400grit wet/dry sandpaper a few times. After a few coats of that I waxed it with good quality carnauba wax and it looks terrific.
thanks for the input  !!

While we're on the topic of black korina...opinions/experiences on colored transparent finishes (blue, green, etc) on black korina?  The reason I ask is cause I love the grain of black korina but I don't want to be stuck with only natural/brownish finishes.

Probably just me, but I think transparent red on black korina looks sexy as hell.

RLW said:
Probably just me, but I think transparent red on black korina looks sexy as hell.

+ 1

I originally wanted my SG in black korina w/trans red finish, but at the time Warmoth had a shortage of Korina wood and quoted me 8 weeks for delivery.

Trans red look great on black korina
RedStrat.jpg

I'm planning a G4 with a Walnut top and a transparent red finish on the top. Peavey makes their custom Cirrus model in walnut with a transparent finish.

Mapleg4 said:
I'm planning a G4 with a Walnut top and a transparent red finish on the top. Peavey makes their custom Cirrus model in walnut with a transparent finish.

Dunno if it will work guy... Walnut is much more darker than black korina... And you can (or could) see at showcase: when the B.K. is very dark, the red transparent get a little strange...

Check out the Showcase; sort for finished Korina bodies; there's a number of sharp ones with transparent finishes.

NonsenseTele said:
Mapleg4 said:

Dunno if it will work guy... Walnut is much more darker than black korina... And you can (or could) see at showcase: when the B.K. is very dark, the red transparent get a little strange...

I really want it to be pretty dark, I like finishes that are almost black.

Back