BK 59 set with Ilitch noise canceling backplate and Fender 63 Vibroverb RI

fdesalvo

I hate posting raw and naked clips like this; you guys know I'm a studio king and need my overdub functionality and production trickery to hide behind! 

But!  This is a demonstration of the quack I was referring to in another thread.  I installed the pickups, set the guitar up, and went to town.  This was recorded on an iphone with the amp around 2 on the volume.  I am not a blues guy, so don't judge.  I literally whipped up a couple chord progressions on the spot, but you can hear a few pickup changes and a Route 808 kicking in somewhere in the middle.  Yes, it's repetitive and dull. 

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/catfishsaldefranco/new-recording-22[/soundcloud]

I LOVE this guitar and the electronics.  No hum/buzz at all thanks to the noise cancelling backplate - no change in tone.  The amp is damn lovely, too.  Turns out I love the Brownface/6g16 sound and that's what's been in my head all these years. 

ZzMdonl.jpg

Hey,  Frank -

This does sound awful good, but I had to go to your soundcloud page to hear it.  Your link is busted.  Maybe this will work.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/frankdesalvo/bare-knuckle-pickups-59-slab-board-set-63-vibroverb-ri[/soundcloud]

Also, those smoldering eyes!  So dreamy!

Hey, I had to jump on my phone to edit the post. Some of the buttons aren’t working on the safari browser. Strange. Fixed and thank you!

Smoldering lol. Why, I never!  :laughing7:

I've just reposted the track using my fictitious beard account, behind which I post potentially embarrassing clips.  If you are out and about and you hear about a sweet guitarist named, "Catfish Sal DeFranco (and the Flat Pan Friers)", then hell has frozen over.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/catfishsaldefranco/new-recording-22[/soundcloud]

Sounds Killer.  That's how a strat should sound.  Excellent!  The noise is totally gone, it appears. :headbanging:

VERY SWEET! Great tone Frank, I can hear why you're so happy with it! Mighty fine instrument....  :icon_thumright:

That Strat sounds so right! Outstanding instrument. Great playing.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Catfish Sal DeFranco! That works for me. :laughing11:

Rgand said:
That Strat sounds so right! Outstanding instrument. Great playing.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Catfish Sal DeFranco! That works for me. :laughing11:

:laughing7:

BigSteve22 said:
VERY SWEET! Great tone Frank, I can hear why you're so happy with it! Mighty fine instrument....  :icon_thumright:
Thank you. Only took 20 years of building and buying. Could’ve saved money and time by buying an older fender amp and guitar, but I’ve got to reinvent the wheel! :tard:

-VB- said:
Sounds fantastic! If I may enquire, what made you swap out the Rocketfire pickups?

The Rocketfires were perfect for that late 60’s sound, just as they were branded. Something was just missing and I didn’t notice it at first. Something wasn’t aligning with the sound I was gunning for and I wasn’t sure if it was the guitar or the amp. I took a risk on targeting a late 50’s/early 60’s sound and that was it! 

Maybe the Rocketfires would be better for my tastes through a different rig. I did enjoy them, but the difference may be that they were a hotter wind - somewhere around the mid 6k range.  The 2/4 positions didn’t have the quack I was after and the neck had an upper midrange spike that wasn’t jiving with my rig. The bridge pickup was fantastic and really stood out, however. For whatever reason, the BK 59’s are just perfect for me.

Man, that Brownface circuit, though.  That’s a big part of the sound. It’s all Fender, but with chewy mids and sparkle.  I thought I was a blackface guy until I landed this amp. Took a risk and it paid off!

Back