Birdseye soloist and rosewood neck

I am amazed at birdseye.

I've always wondered....
What happens to wood that creates it?

blimpo said:
I am amazed at birdseye.

I've always wondered....
What happens to wood that creates it?
There's lots of theories and speculation, but no conclusive answer has ever been scientifically proven. Same with flame maple and quilt....It's a mystery... :dontknow:

Quick update.
Been delayed waiting for rosewood filler for the body - still not arrived.
Here it is assembled. I'm going for chrome hardware - ties in with the frets and inlay - and black speedknobs & switch.

assembled.jpg

This is a trial of the tinted danish oil in the trem cavity. Really brings out the grain but I'm worried it might be a little too dark.

trial_outside.jpg

...and this is the access difference between strat and soloist bodies

strat_v_soloist.jpg

Ok - the rosewood filler is a thick liquid and way too dark on the ash. I tried it on a pine offcut and it looked okay but experimenting in the trem cavity it's tried to turn everything dark brown  :dontknow:
So, gone to plan B and rubbed on a coat of antique Danish Oil instead. Lookin' good, tho' I say so myself.
Pix when I've done a few coats.

Three coats of 'antique pine' Danish Oil, sanded the top to 1200 and polished. Has brought out the grain nicely on the ash back and the quiltiness and birdseyes of the top, hopefully shows in the pix. And you can see how dark the rosewood filler was  :sad:
Wondering now whether to spray with clear lacquer/ nitro or leave as this natural-looking satiny-look. Any views? :dontknow:

DCP_1452_640.jpg

DCP_1453_640.jpg

DCP_1455_640.jpg

DCP_1457_640.jpg

DCP_1454_640.jpg

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6730.30  check out mine, I went from the box to the tru oil, and its really popping out.

Nice flames, Luke. I have oiled already. Am I right, though, that quilt and flame maple are soft, hence can take stain, but BEMaple is hard and doesn't.
Maybe I'll go for clear.
Here's some quick and dirty assembly shots. Might swap to black pickup trims - those chrome trims make the PUs look HUGE!

DCP_1459_800.jpg

DCP_1458_800.jpg

Quick update.
I've clear lacquered. The edges and rear have come out nicely but the top just won't take it - it seems to shy away from little pockets to leave orange peel like lunar craters. Maybe because it's a hard wood compared with the softer ash. Can't be the Danish oil 'cos I've used that on the back as well. :dontknow:
I've sanded it back to wood and tried again twice so have now given up and gone back to oil but carefully wiping off what doesn't soak in after a few minutes. Might take a while to build up the protection but it's taken a couple weeks to get to this point...

Back