HB_Pickup.jpg

Neck_Joint.jpg

Neck_Joint_Dots.jpg

Neck_Joint_Dots_2.jpg

Neck_Pup.jpg

Peg_Head.jpg

Quilt_Top_Body.jpg

Tuning_Machines.jpg

Very nice! How did you attach the drinking glass to the neck? :icon_scratch: Does it detach and double as a slide?  :tard:

Nice build!! How does it sound? Are you going to cover the truss rod?

-TT-

Nice build......

Loving the bound neck.  That idea is in the bank for my next build. 
Good work with the matching headstock face.  Nice One.

You may have answered this elsewhere, but what pickup choice did you go for?

Nicely Done ! ! ! ! !

Jim

Fool.......I've just found your prevous post with all the info on it.  :doh:

Ignore Me

Here are some pics of my new beauty.
Mahogany Hollow Body/AAA Quilt Maple Top
Rear routed
Tobacco burst/Trans Brown finish
Cream Binding
Schaller 475 fixed bridge (GREAT bridge)
Electrosocket side jack (really secure-good choice)
Single Volume/Single Tone
5-way Switch
Duncan Alnico II Trembucker in the bridge (considering a mod to add push/pull for phasing of TBucker)
Fralin Vintage Hot Single Coils in the middle and neck positions
Schaller strap locks
Warmoth Pro Neck/Compound Radius/Angled headstock
Standard thin
Abelone dots
Warhead headstock with matching quilt maple/tobacco burst laminate
Maple neck (slight birdseye)
Rosewood fingerboard
Corian nut
Gotoh SG38 tuners
6130 frets (gibson size)
Cream Binding

Loving the bound neck

i have a real weakness for bound necks. i think they really help finish the aesthetic elements of a guitar, be it acoustic or electric.

i know it's not really a vintage strat look, but i dig it, and i think it works on this project.

Obviously, binding is popular on Gibson instruments... hmmmm maybe i need to build a LP?

TroubledTreble said:
Very nice! How did you attach the drinking glass to the neck? :icon_scratch: Does it detach and double as a slide?  :tard:

Nice build!! How does it sound? Are you going to cover the truss rod?

-TT-

I am hoping to cover the truss rod, but the piece warmoth sent was, quite frankly, a bit inelegant.
I can't use a gibson style cover since the screw holes don't work with the position of the truss rod in the neck i have.

any suggestions for an elegant single drill, or very narrow three screw truss rod cover?

Gorgeous guitar. I think your SC pups need mounting rings though. If you can find them like this: http://www.wdmusic.com/metal_strat_reg_pickup_mounting_25424_prd1.htm in cream, that would be perfect otherwise gold is good.

tfarny said:
Gorgeous guitar. I think your SC pups need mounting rings though. If you can find them like this: http://www.wdmusic.com/metal_strat_reg_pickup_mounting_25424_prd1.htm in cream, that would be perfect otherwise gold is good.

I thought about mounting rings for the SCs but i decided it would have been almost too finished a look... that's the same reason I left off the cover for the humbucker.
I think the guitar has so much going on with the figuring and the finish and the gold hardware and the binding, that a few "unfinished" touches actually add a lot.

But maybe I'm wrong  :icon_biggrin:

in any case... i'm now searching for a truss rod cover, but actually keep wondering if maybe it's better to leave it uncovered?  :icon_scratch:

really thrilled with the pups and woods though... can get a ringing chime from the single coils and a good growl from the HBucker... i'm not an effects guy... just a touch of delay and some reverb to round out the sound... volume pedal for control and  :hello2:

will eventually record some samples and post those.

I love that strat! nice quilt, really like the warhead!
and no, you don't need pup rings on this at all!

m4rk0 said:

Thanks m4rk0.... actually as i was planning the build your VIP with gold hardware helped me choose the tobacco burst (was going to be cherry burst previously).

MKFAN said:
m4rk0 said:

Thanks m4rk0.... actually as i was planning the build your VIP with gold hardware helped me choose the tobacco burst (was going to be cherry burst previously).
ahh, that is fantastic! I am sure my VIP is honored to be a help picking a finish for that great strat!  :laughing7:

Aweseme Warmoth version of Mark Knopfler's Pensa guitar.  My currently build (9 more weeks to go), is a mahogany bodied strat as well..  As a MK fine myself, (love his recent solo stuff), it was very reisuring to know his recent guitars have been the mahogany strat's, or even Les Paul's, vs his old school alder strats.  For a man who's all about tone, it really moved me away from alder or ash.

Just curious as to why you didn't go for a white humbucker like in MIK's original version?

erik

Mark Knopfler still does use his traditional strats (alder or ash)... that said, the MK1 that pensa made for him was designed to essentially function as a combination strat and Les Paul in one... to what ever degree one can achieve that. His pure strat tones (on the new album/What it Is/Sultans) are strats... his growly tones are a 59 Gibson Les Paul... and of course there are a variety of other guitars too.

Pickups are texas specials for single coils, and a vintage '59 PAF in the Les Pauls.

The white pickups on the original MK guitar are EMG (humbcuker pickup/sa single coils), but the EMGs are active pickups, powered by a 9V battery. They sound great for some things, and are a great way to recreate studio recordings pristinely in live environment. I preferred more organic sounds.

The Fralin Vintage Hot single coils are really a great combo with the mahogany body, which tends warm. The growl I get our of the Duncan Alnico II trembucker is sweet... I still would like to hear a Seth Lover.

I really dig Knopfler's tone, and my new guitar has done exactly what I wanted it to do... it allows me to go back and forth between his different sounds using the same instrument.

Back