Best wood to use for my humbuckers

David

I am planning to build a flat-top LP with DiMarzio super distortion pickup in the bridge and a DiMarzion super 2 in the neck.  Originally I was thinking of using a mahagony neck and body, but now I'm wondering if that would sounds too dark or muddy.  I thought about using Alder instead.

I have another all mahagony Warmoth and ended up putting lighter strings on it to brighten it up a bit.  I was expecting that Gibson LP sound, but was a little disappointed.

Any advise or experience?

Ace Frehley used Super Distortion on a Les Paul, although is said that the new SuperD are different than that one... I would go for mahogany or rosewood neck  :evil4:

I have a super-D/PAF-Pro combo in a maple body/maple-Pau Ferro neck. Not muddy at all (maple=brighter).  Great sustain with that heavy wood too.

Mahogany would be considered the classic tonewood for use with humbuckers but if you'd like to try something a little more unique than Korina (used in the original Flying V's) could be a good choice. Another great way to brighten up the sound would be to add an ebony fretboard. That being said the majority of tone in an electric guitar comes the pickups and the amp instead of the wood used. Cheers,

David said:
I am planning to build a flat-top LP with DiMarzio super distortion pickup in the bridge and a DiMarzion super 2 in the neck.  Originally I was thinking of using a mahagony neck and body, but now I'm wondering if that would sounds too dark or muddy.  I thought about using Alder instead.

I have another all mahagony Warmoth and ended up putting lighter strings on it to brighten it up a bit.  I was expecting that Gibson LP sound, but was a little disappointed.

Any advise or experience?

That sounds like a relatively balanced combo since the Super Distortion is heavy on bass and mids, whereas, the Super 2 is treble-centric which will make the neck position anything but muddy. It will be quite articulate. Since both pickups have an output of 425 you'll have a slight output jump in the neck position since the neck, by default, is a higher volume position. Typically, if you can, its a better idea to get a slightly lower output for your neck pickup. Nonetheless, your combo will work if you just adjust the neck pickup height lower to compensate for the higher output level of the neck.

The only concern you should have is getting too dark a tonewood since your bridge pickup (the Super Distortion) is so heavy on bass and mids. If you have a maple cap (Note: Cap not veneer. Important difference) and an ebony fretboard that's made from a slab of decent width then you should be okay. Yet, you're using a solid piece with a flat top. Alder might take away from the classic Les Paul sound as well, IMHO. Koa and Korina are decent options too and you'll not lose that classic Les Paul tone.

Getting an all Brazilian Rosewood neck would brighten up your tone slightly and would also be aesthetically nice. The biggest problem here is that your cost from Mahogany to BRW goes through the roof. If you can afford it then it's a nice option. BRW is a bit brighter than IRW or MRW (which tends to be in-between the two). BRW and Ebony FB is also a good option.

There are a zillion factors to getting the best solution for the tone you're looking for and just as many options. So the more input you give, the better chances you've got in achieving that tone.

Best of luck!

Back