Best way to shave the heel joint of a roasted ash body . . .

guitarstv

I got a roasted ash body from Warmoth, but it came with a small chip knocked out of the heel joint on the back (about 1/16th of an inch deep, and about 1/8th inch wide) along the grain. My original plan was to use a router to slightly reduce the thickness of the whole neck heel area, but it seems like this roasted ash is very prone to chipping. (I see multiple small chips (less than a mm in depth/width) along the edges of the routes that will go under the pickguard for example in addition to the chip from the neck heel). Everything else seems good on the body, and like I said I was planning on taking down the heel area anyway so it doesn't seem worth sending back.

The chipping thing though, leads me to believe that I'd be safest just sanding the hell out of the area to get the heel joint flat and get rid of the chip. I think that'll work (eventually), but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do this that would be a little quicker (but still safe/hard to screw up). Any ideas?

Yep, but I figured I should try here as there would be more people with experience with roasted bodies.

I was going to say chisel ... but really, just gently sand it, and take your time.

With sanding, I'd be concerned about maintaining a consistently flat surface. Seems like it would be easy to make the problem worse, or create a new one. Tough to say without seeing the chip we're talking about. Routing neck pockets is scary enough without adding in the brittle qualities of "roasted" woods.

The chip is right on the corner nearest the upper horn, and would leave a gap under the neck plate if I do nothing.  I'm planning on painting the body a solid colour, so I guess it doesn't matter if

I have some concerns about sanding and keeping things level as well, but really don't like my odds at using a router which was the original plan.  I've got a rectangular shaped oscillating hand sander with low speed settings that I could keep pretty level, and might be preferable to trying to do this with paper on a block of wood.

My fault - not sure why, but I was under the impression the damage was inside the pocket, to the floor. If it's on the outside, then there's little or no risk to the mounting/seating of the neck. You're going to be worried more about aesthetics.

guitarstv said:
The chip is right on the corner nearest the upper horn, and would leave a gap under the neck plate if I do nothing.  I'm planning on painting the body a solid colour, so I guess it doesn't matter if

I have some concerns about sanding and keeping things level as well, but really don't like my odds at using a router which was the original plan.  I've got a rectangular shaped oscillating hand sander with low speed settings that I could keep pretty level, and might be preferable to trying to do this with paper on a block of wood.
If your planning on painting the body anyway, I would apply a little wood filler, let it dry completely, second coat if needed, sand it smooth with a block and paper and proceed as normal. Primer should cover any difference between the filler and wood. whichever you choose, good luck with the project.

Back