best pickups for a semi-hollow

Fralin's are as good as it gets.
Gibson Burstbuckers are amazing
Duncan recommends Alnico II Pro's for semi-hollowbody guitars.

I think Trey is talking about one of two things.  Either hes adding a cover to a non covered one and double potting or his are from the SD Custom Shop.  They sell em here.  www.specialtyguitars.com/sd/humbuckers.html  The "59 Model SH-1 Humbucker unpotted"

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/59_model_sh1_an/

I don't know if P-90s are an option, but I have a Lollar P-90 in my thinline Tele, and it is simply the best sounding pickup I have ever heard.  I think the semi hollow nature of the guitar may add something to the equation, but this pickup sounds HUGE and clear!

>59 in the bridge & Jazz neck would be a great combo

yea i know individually they are great pups - but how are they together? the combination of the two?

vtpcnk said:
>59 in the bridge & Jazz neck would be a great combo

yea i know individually they are great pups - but how are they together? the combination of the two?

About as good as it gets.  That's gotta be one of Seymour D's best pairings.
You might get "better" results from other manufacturers, but the 59/Jazz combo is right up there....

IMHO.
jim

I have a set of the regular Duncan Pearly Gates in my 335, perfect combo for me.

haha i was going to suggest 59 before i even read ur post. Have you ever tried the 59? If not...let me tell u what i think of it. I have it in the neck, which is a great place for it. I use it to get a smooth jazz and blues sound, and its so sweet. On my strat it has very 'rounded' mids, imagine a bubbly mids that are just smooth, and well, round! It's not edgy, unless you drive it. I try to use that pickup as clean as possible or with little drive.

I also have cool rails in the middle which is clean but more edgy and more treble and less rounded than the 59 in the neck. I also suggest pure nickel addario 11's if u can use them(im drop tuned to Eb, and the duncans are so much smoother with pure nickel rather than nickel coated steel cores) I have a JB jr in the bridge which is veeery trebly and edgy, more for harder music and not jazzy by any means. I can't stand the JB jr without pure nickel strings because its too harsh on the thinnest strings. Of the three I suggest the 59 the most in the neck, especially if you like jazz and blues.

Back