Best neck for Korina body

Doughboy

I'm looking to get a one piece black Korina strat body for my next build, but I'm not sure about the neck.

I hear that black Korina sounds like a slightly brighter mahogany so I was thinking about the possibility of a korina neck with some kind of highly figured exotic fingerboard.

I like the warm fat tone of mahogany & hope to keep this build as fat & warm as possible, so maple is out of the question.

Any suggestions?

I was going to say Bloodwood, but you don't want Maple tonality, so how about Indian Rosewood?

If I were you I'd grab the wenge ebony 59 with the spotted fb before it temps me to buy the wrong neck for my guitar.

reinhold said:
Wenge/ebony, no contest IMO.  :laughing7:

Wenge/wenge.

6183311750_030f3270e9_b.jpg

line6man said:
I was going to say Bloodwood, but you don't want Maple tonality, so how about Indian Rosewood?

Bloodwood does NOT sound like Maple..

so yeah, go for Bloodwood :)
Rosewood/Ebony has also worked great for me.

this sounds really fat and warm, and.... it looks super sexy

korinastrat014.jpg

ps, Joey, Shut up!!

Marko said:
this sounds really fat and warm, and.... it looks super sexy

korinastrat014.jpg

ps, Joey, Shut up!!

I've made peace with it. I just wrote Satan to be sure he plays Beefheart for you when you get to hell for selling that neck. :blob7:
And you'll be hearing a bit of Gentle Giant for the Zebra coils. :blob7:

Would a Korina neck be a good choice to give the same warmth & brightness that the body would have & then couple it with an ebony fingerboard? This would give it a uniform look as well.

I've been tempted by the occasional BK neck in the showcase, with similar thoughts. But thankfully none have had enough of the other features I want, and I've been able to hold out. But tonalities and appearance aside - the BK neck needs a finish.

Doughboy said:
Would a Korina neck be a good choice to give the same warmth & brightness that the body would have & then couple it with an ebony fingerboard? This would give it a uniform look as well.

No. You're asking for opposing qualities. A "warm" neck absorbs or dampens high frequencies, while a "bright" one does not. You can't have it both ways. You can get a middle ground, but that's as good as it gets.

If it was me, I'd go for something bright. You can always filter out high frequencies if you don't want them, but you can't create them if you do and the tool isn't capable of it. Besides, the neck is only a fraction of the tone. Some say as much as 10%, but I don't know how anyone could quantify that. In any event, your pickups are going to be in the driver's seat.

Doughboy said:

To my knowledge, a Black Korina neck would require a finish for Warmoth's warranty to apply.
I'd avoid it for that reason.

Cagey said:
Doughboy said:

No. You're asking for opposing qualities. A "warm" neck absorbs or dampens high frequencies, while a "bright" one does not. You can't have it both ways. You can get a middle ground, but that's as good as it gets.

If it was me, I'd go for something bright. You can always filter out high frequencies if you don't want them, but you can't create them if you do and the tool isn't capable of it. Besides, the neck is only a fraction of the tone. Some say as much as 10%, but I don't know how anyone could quantify that. In any event, your pickups are going to be in the driver's seat.

I should add that I hate high end & brightness. My favorite tone is dark, yet clear, if that makes sense. That's why I was thinking of a warm neck with a bright fingerboard.

My favorite guitar, tonally, is my Carvin CS6 which is mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck & ebony fingerboard. The bass is a tad too muddy for me, hence my choice or Korina, since I hope it would give me the warmth & fatness but not the muddy bottom end.

Doughboy said:
I should add that I hate high end & brightness. My favorite tone is dark, yet clear, if that makes sense. That's why I was thinking of a warm neck with a bright fingerboard. 

You may be placing too much emphasis on the effect the neck has on the tone. Perhaps you should be looking at a pair of the C22 pickups Carvin puts on their CS6 guitars. As you know, they're a traditional side-by-side coil construction humbucker with a "classic" or "vintage" (read: lower) output. If you look at the CS6 design, it has a lot in common with the better Les Pauls, in that it's mostly mahogany with a Maple top and Ebony fretboard.

I'm not saying the neck has no effect, but it's not nearly as dramatic as various pickups will be. I mean, there are probably 3 or 4 times as many pickups made each year as guitars, and there are hundreds of varieties.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the neck's scale length and profile have an effect as well.

If you look at the neck builder on Warmoth's site, next to the neck woods choice there's a little question mark that if you click on will take you to a page where they describe the expected behavior of different woods. There's also a similar page here. From that, you can see that Rosewood or Goncalo Alves are tonal replacements for Mahogany. Korina comes close, but it requires a finish. Not that a finish is a Bad Thing, but it does add cost that could be applied to a more attractive raw exotic wood. If it was me, I'd be looking at Goncalo, but I understand the desire to have the wood match up to the body more closely.

Back