best finish for a flame maple top

vtpcnk

guys sorry if this is a stupid question, what is the best/popular finish for a flame maple top?

would clear gloss work?

appreciate the feedback.

Clear gloss would work, most people get a dye, burst, or trans finish. It's entirely preference.

so if it was a mahogany back with maple top, what kind of finish would you do for the mahogany?

and any pointers on what is involved in a trans finish.

my lp has a falme maple top in trans finish - i think.

I'm not going to be able to tell you what looks best. Flame maple goes with almost anything, and clear on mahogany goes well with any flame maple top.

Sorry, but what kind of a question is this supposed to be? Just search the showcase for finished bodies with flame maple tops and check them out, browse the gallery and the finished threads here. There are hundreds of examples, pick something you like. There's no 'best finish for flame maple'.

actually let me pose this question differently : which maple top looks best in clear gloss?

tfarny said:
Just search the showcase for finished bodies with flame maple tops and check them out, browse the gallery and the finished threads here. There are hundreds of examples, pick something you like.

This is absolutely true.  Find some that you like and work it from there.  Almost every combination has been used at least once.

Warmoth Gallery is an excellent resource for this also.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Gallery.aspx?type=STRAT_GUITAR

I wouldn't call it inconsistency, but each Warmoth finish seems to be a independent work of art.  They all look spectacular, but even on similar tops, the dyes and bursts differ from piece to piece.  Some are darker or have a bigger or smaller burstover.  But, it goes to show that their finish department is not an assembly line that cranks out mirror copies from piece to piece.  Each piece of wood is unique and inherently gets a different treatment, albeit the same category of finish, piece to piece.  That's one reason they do the peghead veneers and bodies at the same time I guess.  The examples in the "paint" section of the site can differ greatly from the in-stock pieces.

not to tell you what to do but since you are asking.... :laughing11:

I think dyes have best effect on flame.  If you are using a mahogany neck...I would leave it natural...jts add clear.

For the body...what is the back?

One the top I think a combo of browns sanded back and amber would go nice withthe mahogany...It gives some color but keeps things natural looking.  That is how I did mine.

Back