Best Drill Bit Types

Cyber4499

Hello Everyone!

I am putting together an electric/acoustic guitar, with an aldar wood body.
I am looking for advice and help from the best: the Unofficial Warmoth forum.
Additional tips and tricks would be appreciated.

I'd like to know what is the best possible drill bit type(s) and size(s) for drilling holes for:
  • pickguard screws
  • schaller mini locking tuner
  • guitar jack screws
  • schaller strap lock screws

Thank you

First of all, welcome to the forum! We have a lotta fun here, I hope you'll enjoy the company and join in.

Secondly, to answer your question, all the screws you mention are pretty small, so no brad points or anything like that. For the first three in your list, I generally use a 1/16" twist drill bit. For the strap buttons, 3/32" is usually right. They don't need to be anything fancy; we're just drilling wood. It is hardwood, so drill slow and be careful! Drill bits are hardened, and small ones can snap so easily you won't believe it just happened. Getting what's left in the hole out is usually no fun at all.

Unless you intend to drill through something, always mark your drill bit with a piece of tape that'll tell you when you're deep enough.

When you run the screws in, be sure to scrape up some sort of lubricant onto the threads. Beeswax is best, but paraffin works. In a pinch, crayons or candles will work. I'd stay away from oil or soap or anything like that. Reason to do that is the screws are tiny, and you can twist their little heads off so easily you won't believe it just happened. Getting what's left in the hole out is usually no fun at all.

Back