Behlen Qualalacq GLoss Lacquer

I've only used Behlens instrument lacquer and some other products. They are good quality so if the item your looking at describes what your looking for there's a good chance that it does what it says on the tin.

I have used them as well.  Works well.  The only downside is it is hard to find in a store and limited to mail order.

I have also used WATCO brushing lacquer.  I thinned it the same way i did the Behlens and works the same.  It acts, looks and smells just like the Behlens.  It also about $5 less a quart.

Here it is on Amazon; $16.13

Qualalacq Lacquer Gloss Quart

31Jy3pIH29L.jpg

Evidently Mohawk and Behlen are identical products.  I am just finding this out, but it may be common knowledge for those who have been doing this a while.  I am a newbie.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/finishes/mohawk-finishing-products

Yes that is their standard lacquer for stringed instruments.  The Qualalacq is supposed have scratch resistance and be harder.  If you check out that Amazon link I posted above, look at the reviews.  One of the reviewers said he used it for a guitar and so far it has lasted 20 years I think he said.

I can't see a reason not to use it on a guitar if you want something hard wearing. Wood doesn't know if it's a table or an electric guitar. No idea whether that stuff gives a thicker finish or whether the tone police will come after you  :dontknow:

But if you want it to wear or relic that may be a reason not to go for it.

Back