Basswood Strats

Basswood is softer than a Pine such as Spruce or Fir. How much so depends on the variety, but you're probably most often talking about 410 vs 480 on the Janka scale, so not enough to get worked up over.

FWIW, I really like basswood for my basses (don't play guitar), and have put together a Deluxe 5 and a Gecko 6 with the wood. For the CA glue finish I use the softness has been a positive attribute: it really soaks into the wood and you end up with a very hard surface. Basswood looks quite lovely when bleached with the 2-part wood bleach system, and the super-thin CA glue makes it look a bit like marble. I use foam applicators and just soak it to the point it won't take any more (buy an 8-ounce bottle of the stuff), then sand to 1000 grit. If you want to paint it, you can first soak with glue and sand, then paint (I've just used spray can), then glue-coat and sand again.

PS if you try the CA glue finish, make sure the body is really dry, or you will end up with white streaks forming in the glue.

Here's the Deluxe 5, no pickups yet, which was bleached prior to finishing, and also the Gecko (just body, has a non-Warmoth neck with extended fingerboard) that was not bleached.

Attachments

• dlx51.jpg
    dlx51.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 259
  • dlx52.jpg
    dlx52.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 269
  • gecko.jpg
    gecko.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 262
Seeing the thumbnails I first thought it was a solid cream color but clicking the pictures and seeing them larger I then realised it was actually the wood that was that color. Looks good with wood this light.

But what, may I ask, is that bridge? I see it's prepared for a seventh string and seem to be adjustable in all kind of directions.
Are there such a one for guitar, I wonder ...

Thanks, Cagey.
I find it a bit odd that this fixed bass bridge is so simple and "streamlined-ish", while all their other bridges, especially for guitar are so big and clunky.
Or rather, I find it odd, that there isn't a similar solution for guitar. I think that could be pretty cool.

Well, Schaller makes the "Hannes" bridge which is sorta modular along the same lines, but not quite.

schaller-hannes-bridge-chrome-8-strings.jpg

Still, they come in a several string counts to suit the more ambitious builder/player. They're a very comfy bridge that sounds good, but they're not quite as easy to install as one might hope, and theyr'e a tad pricey.

Cagey said:
Well, Schaller makes the "Hannes" bridge which is sorta modular along the same lines, but not quite.

schaller-hannes-bridge-chrome-8-strings.jpg

Still, they come in a several string counts to suit the more ambitious builder/player. They're a very comfy bridge that sounds good, but they're not quite as easy to install as one might hope, and theyr'e a tad pricey.

I saw Crimson Guitar's video on it and it looks like a real pain to ground...

Depends on how you do it. I (re)installed one for another member here who had a bit of trouble with the first tech's installation and managed to pull it off. But, I went around the original design a bit so it was easier.

I remember that save, Cagey. Excellent work as always.

Yes, the Hannes seems nice, but for ease of installment and adjustment options I think I prefer their 475. The one Warmoth offers routing for. For some guitars ...

I remember that, too. I really like the way you did the corrections, Kevin. Very clean and effective.

Thanks. What I wanted to point out was how I grounded the thing, but I couldn't find a picture on this machine. Anyway, mounting the bridge the way I did, all it takes is an "aircraft" bit...

2662814.jpg

... to drill a sideways hole from the string backup plate to the control cavity and you can run a wire. Means you gotta buy the backplate I designed from Doug, but it ends up working out better all around doing it that way anyway.

Doesn't the Schaller Hannes come with a string retaining plate, which you could ground to ?

In the Crimson video he seems to be using individual string ferrules instead. Not sure why.

As I understand it, Schaller changed it to string ferrules to make the installment slightly easier.

That is indeed a Kahler bridge, on both the 5 and the Gecko 6. With it you can add or remove saddles as desired, and on the 5 I tried the bass as a narrow-spaced 6, which was ok but for me too narrow at the nut, and for both it and the Gecko it  there for a planned future experiment adding a dummy 7th string that will terminate near the bass side of the neck joint -- the idea is to have a place for fingers to rest after plucking the lowest real string, as I've always found fingerstyle playing on the lowest string of basses to be somewhat inconsistent in sound and technique due to the lack of a rest stop.

I've never been a bass player, but I used to wonder why they put a finger rest where they did on some basses...

fender-64-jb-cs-cuerpo3.jpg

Seems like you'd want it where you're talking about - up where your thumb could park. Some did it that way, but not as many as with the finger rest. Now you rarely see either one. I guess you're supposed to man up and use all 5 appendages on your right hand. No rest for the wicked!  :laughing7:

Back