Bass wiring and pickups

Seamas

I have an old Aria pro bass that I am in the process of refinishing--I am also replacing the pickups, pots, cap etc.

It is essentially a P-bass configuration, but am weighing options in regards to cap and pots.

I know 250K is the standard pot for a P-bass, but having seen a video of Dylan talks Tone, I saw him discussing using 500K pots on single coils (guitar) but also using a different capacitor in order to have a larger range of tone.
The idea seemed interesting enough to try on a bass-wondering what the thoughts are in regard to the idea.

What do you think would be an appropriate capacitor for doing this?

I am assuming the 500K pot would only be for the tone control, where the volume would stay 250K correct?

Also, while at it, any suggestions fore a P-bass pickup? Anything to avoid?

My favorite pickup for P-Bass is Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound. They sound good, and are powerful.

I use 250k pots, both for volume and tone, and it works fine for me. I've messed with the capacitor value, and ended up using a .022uf instead of a .047uf. I tried 500K pots, and the difference was very subtle to my ears.

The tone is more subtle, less dubby when the tone is rolled all the way down, but I like it. Caps are cheap, so don't hesitate to experiment with the values before deciding which one you like the most.

There's no "rule", per se, but generally speaking single coil pickups use 250K pots, and humbuckers (noiseless) pickups use 500K, audio (or log) taper in either case. Tone caps are all over the place, gut generally run between .022μF and .047μF. Contrary to some niche opinions, construction type (ceramic, mylar, polyester, PIO, etc.) doesn't matter as long as the capacitance value is what you want.

For fun, you can mix/match all that stuff to make subtle changes in response, and none of those components are expensive. So, you can buy a set of inexpensive ($5-$6/doz) alligator jumper clips like these...

iu

...and an assortment of pots/caps so you can easily substitute parts without all that pesky soldering until you get a combination that makes you happy.

Personally, I like 500K audio taper pots with .022μF caps regardless of the pickups. Lets though the most signal while still giving you a lotta range of control.

Be aware that while you're jumpering things in/out, many times your noise level will increase as the clips are long and unshielded.

Everything Cagey said except the cap values. Basses typically use .047uf, but sometimes go higher (up to .1). The cap controls the cutoff frequency and a bass is an octave lower and bigger caps lower the cutoff frequency.

I'm happy with the 0.1uF I used on my P-Bass, but I do like to have that heavily rolled-off tone available.

Back