Bass Nut Slots

Zblock

I am using .049  .069  .089  .109 strings, but the nut slots are currently too small. The string do not reach the bottom of the slots.

What nut files and gauges should I use to make slightly larger slots?

Well, the last time I cut a bass nut (a loooong time ago), I grabbed 'stuff' from around the shop that was the same diameter of the string I was cutting for.  I seem to recall that I used a roofing nail for one of the strings.  Now that's some 'shop of hard knocks' action!  :headbang:

I did use calipers to check the diameter.  :)

Honestly, I usually use part of the string that will be between the nut and the tuner as a file...

Just make sure, especially with bass strings, that you're not using a tapered bit of string.

Pelagaard said:
Honestly, I usually use part of the string that will be between the nut and the tuner as a file...

Just make sure, especially with bass strings, that you're not using a tapered bit of string.

Yep. I've done that!

Thing is, it's hard to get the correct angle on the cut and the bottom of the slot may wind up not being round. Just take it to a tech and have it done right.

In a pinch you can wrap a piece of 400 grit sandpaper around the next lightest string and widen the nut slots that way. Go slow and check your progress often. Add a little pencil line in the bottom of the slot to make sure you aren't going deeper, just wider.

Back