Bass neck profiles.

I love my Warmoth Jazz, but would love it even more if the neck was a little thinner in profile, front to back.  also have a lovely old Vigier bass that has the most amazing neck ever, same width as the Warmoth but way thinner in depth (granted, it is carbon graphite). I've never had my hands on a Fender "A" neck, but I believe these were the thinner profiled necks that Fender produced. I have asked a very highly respected British luthier (Alan from AC guitars in Scotland) if he could shave the neck to match the profile of the Vigier, and he was, probably quite rightly, reluctant to do so as he couldn't guarantee that there would be enough wood there to remove without causing the truss rod to pot out of the back of the neck. Could Warmoth offer thinner bass necks? They do, after all, offer different guitar neck profiles. Also, has anybody out there shaved a Warmoth bass neck, and if so, did you have any problems? I realise this would invalidate the warranty!

I feel your pain, bro ... I sure do wish W made a thinner neck more in line with what Squier is offering today

all the best,

R

I also agree... not enough love from W to the bass players.  There's like 300 finished guitar bodies in the Showcase, and like 10 basses. 

Warmoth almost certainly builds bass necks with the idea of warp-avoidance in mind. If they made a thinner one that wasn't guaranteed, would you buy it? Basses have tremendous stress on the necks - Warmoth doesn't put a Gotoh side-adjuster on a bass neck, hmmm, wonder why?  I remember a time when there were no "vintage" Fender basses, because all the necks had warped. That's how Spector, Tobias and others got such a leg up in the market. Then, after the counterfeiters realized that they could make almost as much from fake basses as from fake guitars, they got busy, especially with "replacement" necks. There's been an explosion in the numbers of "vintage" basses the past five years - so I guess you don't need fat necks or reinforcing bars, all those old Fenders and EBO's unwarped themselves quite nicely when the price went up. :toothy12:

Folks, here's some new info on the thin profile bass necks.  They're not on the website or configurator yet, but they are available.  Consider this a custom contour with $35 additional charge.

Here's a simple comparison of the two profiles:
4stringbassneckcontours.jpg

awesome, but Ill stick with the fatter contours. I love the contour on my Guild B301. still is nice that Warmoth is doing this kinda stuff for their customers!

Brian

I've had mine for a couple months.  Solid, stable, and comfy.  I plan on another in the reasonably near future  :icon_thumright:

Wyliee said:
Folks, here's some new info on the thin profile bass necks.  They're not on the website or configurator yet, but they are available.  Consider this a custom contour with $35 additional charge.

Here's a simple comparison of the two profiles:
4stringbassneckcontours.jpg

I ordered one today, and I'm excited.  Birdseye/birdseye J-bass to go on a black P-bass body with a blue pearloid pg.

-Mark

p.s.  Your image link seems to be down.

Back