Bass for the Physically Challenged - Warmoth Neck

Telenator said:

Yes, Mayfly.
He is a member here.
35430_434766617111_527102111_5863787_78190_n.jpg

Wow, I am speechless as well.  You have a great big heart and soul  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
I am a firm believer that what goes around comes around and everything happens for a reason.
Instant Karma gonna get you :headbang1:

I have enough wood to make two more of these and I love the way the Warmoth neck plays. I was going to just build the neck but my friend said he wanted a specific Warmoth neck along with certain tuners, bridge and pickup. He sent me the parts and I built the rest.

I took some measurements of him to determine the best degree of neck rotation and how far I needed to move the leg cut. We went back and forth through e-mail for months as the project was underway, agreeing on some things and not on others.

As many of you know, building a custom instrument is a real risk that doesn't always turn out well. Sometimes you spent a lot of money and several months effort only to end up with an instrument that sounds "meh."

I took some chances on this and was extremely relieved to find that it all worked out!

Now that the project is finished, i'm really beginning to enjoy the "what just happened" vibe of the whole thing. Someone's life has been changed for the better and this was completely inspired by those who did similar things for me. I truly appreciate those who have at times stepped up on my behalf.

I have a 3D laser scan of the body that I need to convert to a DFX file for a friend's CNC machine. No way I want to build another one of these by hand!

Having had a bad experience with patents recently, I decided to just build the bass and let it fly. The important issue was to get someone set-up with an instrument that served their specific needs.

One of the people on the periphery of the project donated a 3D laser scan of the body. I now have it as a .stp file but can't seem to find a way to convert it to DFX so my friend at Stol Guitars can run it on his CNC.

Anyway, there's plenty of info out there on this project. If people seek it out and contact me I am of course willing to discuss building more of these but just don't have the resources to persue it on a larger scale.

My current project is a 25 1/2" scale, set neck Les Paul style guitar. The whole guitar is 4% larger than a Gibson Les Paul and should be a real sweetie when it's done!

As I'm known to say, "I love a good project!"

I really like this idea, and the execution is great as well! I love the 15 degree angle, that's a really big improvement for someone who sits down. It would be great to see this commercially available. Judging from the number of musicians in wheelchairs I've seen, there has to be a big demand for something that's easy to play.

One of the people who got involved in this project did a 3D laser scan of the body. I now have it in a .stp file and have converted it so I can use it on a CNC machine. If people are interested, I theoretically can duplicate it although I haven't done any yet. Too many other projects in the works at the moment.

Project Update::

A friend of mine with a CNC machine has decided to give me a hand in making these bodies.

Here's a few photos.

The Warmoth necks have their first few coats of clear nitro and the pegheads have been painted black.

The 4 string will be deep transparent red with a maple board, and the 5 string will be deep transparent blue with an ebony board.

The body program still needs a little refinement but my friend Mark at Stol Guitars is all over it!

Ergo-Vibe4and5stringnecks-frontlo-res.jpg

Ergo-Vibe4and5stringnecks-backlo-res.jpg

Ergo-Vibe4and5stringbodieslo-res.jpg

Back