Bass for the Physically Challenged - Warmoth Neck

Telenator

Hi guys, 10 years ago I met some guys on an internet guitar forum from South Dakota. I live in Connecticut and go out there every year during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and they very graciously allow me to sit in with them 4 or 5 nights during rally week.

Four years ago, the bass player was in a motorcycle accident and lost the use of his legs. Since then i've been watching him struggle with his bass and felt it was time to do something about it.

The bass you see here features a Warmoth neck and represents 9 months of designing and building.

I just retruned from South Dakota tonight where I delivered the bass to him in person and we played a gig for friends and family. It is by far the most fun project I've ever done, and I've done a lot of projects!

I call it "Ergo-Vibe" because it is ergonomically designed for the special needs of someone who plays in a wheel chair.

Ergo1lo-res.jpg

The neck is rotated 15 degrees as are the bridge and pickup. This angle allows the player to slouch back in their chair while keeping the fingerboard perpendicular to the floor. Otherwise, the player needs to reach further around the neck to fret the notes.

aaDSC_0039lo-res.jpg

The leg cut has also been moved back a few inches to position the instrument more directly in front of the player. But this created a balance issue where the bass became "neck-heavy."

To address this issue, I made a small leaf spring that attaches to the body and supports the neck in a "hands free" posture!

aaDSC_0083lo-res.jpg

aaDSC_0070lo-res.jpg

I contoured the neck heel area so I could use 5 screws of equal length to secure the neck.

Ergo4lo-res.jpg

The end result is a bass guitar that is infinitely easier to play than a conventional instrument. This bass was a gift to my friend who needed a little help. Others have helped me out in my lifetime and when I saw an opportunity to give something back, I took it.

Thanks guys. The neck and all the hardware was purchased at Warmoth.

The neck and body now have a nitro finish donated by Mark Stolson of Stol Guitars www.stolguitars.com

This bass has been passed around to many players and they all agree, the neck plays like buttah! LOL!

The sound is very much like a Fender Jazzbass. It has that "velvet hammer" attack with a HUGE fullness in the sound. The B string is to die for!

The body is basswood.

It took 9 months and seberal foam models, templates and errors to arrive at this piece and I'm truly thrilled that it works as well as it does. Physically challenged people may now have an option when it comes to bass guitars that suit their special needs.

I have no specific plans to take this any further at the moment. I'm just enjoying the experience of the project.

That is a really cool modification. I didn't get the 15 degree rotation until a few pics down, then it all made sense.

Dude that is so awesome. You just earned a whole buttload of good karma and I bet you could care less. Amazing. I can only imagine how grateful and honored your friend must be. Now if you could just make me a guitar for the mentally challenged. :icon_jokercolor:

Man, I'd buy you a few beers if you guys roll through Tacoma anytime.  Just plain awesome what you did there.

-Mark

Even aside from the big heart, and noble purpose which is of course the MOST unique and compelling thing about this instrument - this is one of the most unique and innovate ideas and executions I've seen. Well done, and don't forget to enter that puppy in the first GOTM for which it is elegible. It's got my vote already.

Thanks for the kind words.

My friend called me last night from South Dakota and was just gushing about the bass. I think he's had a couple days for it all to settle in and become real. I know that's how I feel.

The whole process leading up to this point was just a cool project driven by a desire to do something unique and cool. When I finally arrived there and we played some music, it all started to become real. Now that a few days have passed and I've had a chance to process the whole thing in my mind, it feels really good to know someone is getting along a little better.

In my lifetime, there have been people who stepped up on my behalf and it just feels really good to pass it along. We all have skills that known or unknown to us have the potential to make a difference for someone else. Had I not realized that at some point, I probably wouldn't have done this project. I'm just glad to see the guy is not struggling to play any more.

He said, "The way this thing sounds and plays, I feel like I own the Stratavarius of bass guitars."

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

pabloman said:
Now if you could just make me a guitar for the mentally challenged. :icon_jokercolor:

There's loads of those floating around. Just look for the floyd.

What a well-thought-out and kind gift.  The engineering appears to be good and the execution immaculate. You sir are a good friend AND a craftsman. Cheers!

Here's a few photos from my trip to South Dakota.

We played a gig out there that was well attended by friends and families.

The bass was a big success.

ergo1.jpg

ergo3.jpg

ergo2.jpg

Very cool! I love the engineering aspect and the humanitarian aspect of this build. It just made me smile all around. :icon_thumright:

Back