Bass Controls - Looking for ideas and opinions

ManFromNapa

Hey everyone.  I'm getting ready to build a Gecko bass and am looking for opinions and ideas.  Here are the details:

2 Aguilar Jazz pickups (passive)
2 volumes, 2 tones.  Nothing active.

So here's my question.  How would you orientate the volumes and tones??

For my examples below, pretend the strings are to the left.  I tried to space the controls similar to the Gecko layout.

Would you go Les Paul style?? 

Bridge Vol 
Neck Vol
          Bridge Tone
Neck Tone

Or would you do something else??  Put the neck controls closer to neck?  Something like:

Neck Vol
Neck Tone
          Bridge Vol
Bridge Vol

Or maybe Bridge on the "top" and Neck on the "bottom"?

Neck Vol
Bridge Vol
          Neck Tone
Bridge Tone

I know I'm probably overthinking this, but WHY NOT?  I could go Les Paul controls and be fine, but if someone has a layout that makes a lot of sense I'd love to hear it.

Do you typically set the tone once then only adjust the volume through the gig?

If you are using two j bass pickups then why not just go for vol, vol and tone like on a J Bass?

That's why I was asking about what controls are used during the gig.

Based on what I've heard, I'd recommend a volume / balance / tone circuit, where the balance controls how much of each pickup is used. 

My personnal preference for JJ (or even PJ basses) is Volume Tone Switch for giging bass, (simpler and quicker to use) and Volume Volume Tone for recording bass (more control). And I like to have a series/parallel switch for the pick-ups for even more tonal options.

My preferred on a J-bass is simply a Volume,  3 way LP toggle, and the truth, but I have done a Timothy B Scmidt scheme ala his Carvin era where it was both pickups wired straight to the volume and then the jack.

I personally never use the bridge pickup only on Fender bass.  Even on a EBMM, I prefer to have a neck pickup.

Back